Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export 3D Design to DXF

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
KLathwell
810 Views, 9 Replies

Export 3D Design to DXF

Hi Guys

I am really struggling.

I have various models that I want to send  for Laser cutting. My guy can use dwg, dxt or steps files but I have problems when I try to export to any of these formats.

I want to send my 3d Design to him in 2d so that he can just download to his program and start cutting

Despite reviewing many you tube video's I cannot find one that describes the process in a logical way.

I have tried a number of methods but all seem to keep the original design or do not export accurately with parts missing or not correctly dimensioned

Can someone suggest a tutorial or You Tube video which properly explains the process.

I have attached one export example in the files below, it's a complete mess.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TrippyLighting
in reply to: KLathwell

Please attach your model in .f3d format to the next post.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
KLathwell
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi Peter

File now attached. I hope you can help me

Message 4 of 10
HughesTooling

@KLathwell wrote:

Hi Guys

I want to send my 3d Design to him in 2d so that he can just download to his program and start cutting

If you want 2d you'll need to create 2d drawings. Just downloading as a DXF does not magically create 2d drawings, your DXF opens in Rhino fine as a 3d model as expected.

HughesTooling_0-1637940640145.png

You need to create 2d drawings from your model. See help.

HughesTooling_1-1637940682666.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
TrippyLighting

You should check out the "Arrange"  feature.

Once arranged, you can project the outline of your boards into a new sketch and export that sketch as a dxf.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
KLathwell
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hi Peter

Thanks again, so if I understand, there is no magic way to export a 3d model directly for laser cutting so I need to make 2d drawings for all parts of my model

Message 7 of 10
jhackney1972

If you have a Fusion 360 Subscription License you can use the Arrange command as @TrippyLighting has already suggested.  I created a Screencast to illustrate what he suggested.  

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 8 of 10
TrippyLighting

@KLathwell wrote:

Hi Peter

Thanks again, so if I understand, there is no magic way to export a 3d model directly for laser cutting so I need to make 2d drawings for all parts of my model

No, you don't understand that correctly!

I simply thought that's what you wanted.

So you already exported a 3D model in an as-assembled state into a DXF file as @HughesTooling was able to show.

Obviously, that model cannot be laser cur in an assembled state. At least not on any Laser cutter I am aware of.

That necessitates another action. The question you need you to ask yourself then what information a Laser cutter needs to do what you want. So before continuing to propose workflows, you need to answer the question of what "your guy" exactly needs.

A Laser cutter cuts material out of flat stock. That means it needs a path to follow in a flat plane. The workflow I described outputs that pattern in a 2D DXF.

If "your guy" states that he can also use a STEP file, then the process is similar, but you don't need to create a DXF  sketch. Exporting the arranged geometry as a STEP file might be OK.

It is clear that you lack some basics, so I would recommend you communicate with "your guy" and ask him what exactly he would expect to see in the STEP file. Then provide feedback here and we can move forward without having to waste more time with assumptions 😉

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
KLathwell
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi Peter

Thanks for your support, I now have various work arounds which work for me.

If I use the manufacturing tab method I can export a detailed STP file which is completely accurate when I open in a another program so I am happy with this method

Message 10 of 10
KLathwell
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hi John.

Thanks for your support in this matter. I now have a couple of ways to export.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report