Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert STL mesh to solid model

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
SGoldthwaite
90340 Views, 23 Replies

Convert STL mesh to solid model

I imported an STL model into Fusion3D (you can see it here: http://a360.co/196ES4l).  Can I convert this so the faces are not made up of all the STL triangles?  I'd like to model to be the same way as if I created it in F360 originally with the Model workspace.

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Phil.E
in reply to: SGoldthwaite

Triangle faces on mesh will always convert to triangle faces on solids.

I couldn't get the file to download, it may be a problem on my end. Can you post a picture of what it looks like?

Thanks,

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 24
SGoldthwaite
in reply to: Phil.E

In sketchUp I had a plug-in that combined co-planer triangles.  It was great for cleaning up imported STLs.  I'm hoping Fusion360 has something similar. 

Attached is a screenshot of my model

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 24
deyop

Once the STL had been converted into a set of BRep faces the merge command can be used to merge coplanar faces.  Here is a description of that workflow.

Is this going to accomplish your goal?  What is it you are trying to do?  There is really no need to make the faces co-planer if you are just trying to print but if you are trying to do additional modeling operations I don't know if the conversion to BRep is going to get you what you need.  Let us know.

Thanks

Message 5 of 24
SGoldthwaite
in reply to: deyop

Wow, I like the screencast answer, that's really cool.  What you showed me did do what I was trying accomplish.  I wanted to know how to do this so I could modify to an STL model and 3D print it.  For example, on Thingiverse there might be a part I want to make, and with Thingiverse you normally get STL files.  Sometimes the owner also uploads other CAD formats.  Fixing each face manually like you demonstrated isn't practical if the model has tons of faces, that's where a script would come in handy.  In the file I tried to share, it was pretty easy to merge the faces.  Although one side had a problem and I couldn't merge everything.  Perhaps the faces aren't co-planer.  Is there a way to tell for sure.  

I had some problems with my Fusion360 account that tech support fixed last night, maybe that's related to the sharing problem from my earlier post.  Here's a link to the latest version of the file with most of the coplaner faces merged.  

http://a360.co/196ES4l

In your video, I tried to get it to play full screen, but clicking the full screen icon didn't do anything.  I have one quick question from the video: after you selected the Mesh to Brep command, it looks like you were able to select the entire model with one click.  How did you do that?  This is day two for me with using Fusion360, so I've got A LOT to learn.

Message 6 of 24
cekuhnen

That mesh to BREP is money! This also works with NGONs. I found it a well structure to try to merge tries into NGONs before pushing that into Fusion.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 7 of 24
Oceanconcepts

Yes, this looks like a solution to a problem I run into frequently, where faces that should be one aren't. Thanks for highlighting something I had missed. 

@SGoldthwaite  Click on the screencast in the forum, and it should open another window or tab where you have controls to go full screen. I think that highlighting the whole body happened because he had selected the "chain faces" option. Welcome, I've been using Fusion since the beginning, and this was new to me as I don't usually deal with meshes. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 8 of 24

I clicked in the Screencast button and that opened a new window where I can view in full screen, thanks.

I can't find it the enable chaining option.

Also, how do yo quote other posts?.  I don't see a button for it.

Message 9 of 24

Sorry, my error, the term is "Select Chain" in the merge tool. My supposition is that having this option selected acts on a series fo faces, in this case the entire body. 

SafariScreenSnapz010.png

Also, how do you quote other posts?.  I don't see a button for it.

I haven't seen a simple option to enable quoting text- if it's there it is not obvious.  I did the quote above by selecting the html tab and using the <blockquote> tag- that seems pretty cumbersome and it would be good to have an easy way to quote from previous posts. 

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 10 of 24
deyop

We do recognize that people have access to STL files that they subsequently want to make modifications on.  Here is a posting that discusses some of the direction we are heading.  I would also suggest you have a look at Meshmixer.  We are working on incorporating much of the mesh editing and modeling capabilities from Meshmixer within a Fusion workspace dedicated to mesh workflows.

Message 11 of 24
dave

Did we do away with these incredible valuable functions?  In my version there is no merge, no Mesh-to-BRep, no Convert function in any of the Patch menus.  All I can find is the Convert function within the Sculpt environment under Utilities menu ... and even that will only do T-splines and quad-meshes (not triangular ones, which is how all my STLs come in as).  I have a bunch of STLs I need to edit and I can't seem to do anything with them.

Message 12 of 24
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: dave

@dave

This functionality still exists, you have to enter direct modeling mode to convert mesh to B-rep. The option only shows up then.

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 13 of 24
PhilProcarioJr

@dave

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 14 of 24
dave
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

Wow ... how wonderful and how much easier my life will be now. Thanks for
the info. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Do you think maybe it's a good idea to gray those functions out, with a
message to enable direct modelling, instead of making them disappear
entirely when using Design History mode? A little consideration for the
user experience perhaps?

Thanks again!
Message 15 of 24
dave

Wow ... how wonderful and how much easier my life will be now. Thanks for
the info. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Do you think maybe it's a good idea to gray those functions out, with a
user experience perhaps?

Thanks again!
Message 16 of 24
PhilProcarioJr

@dave

"Do you think maybe it's a good idea to gray those functions out, with a
user experience perhaps?"

Yes that would be a better option in my opinion. Add it to the idea station and I will vote for it.

Also a word of warning, if you don't use this option very carefully your performance and stability in Fusion will go to crap. This is honestly not a preferred method of working.

It has some very valuable uses, but given your description of use I fear your going to have a lot of headaches. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 17 of 24
dave

Got it. Yes, as I understand it when it comes to STLs and such Meshmixer
is my best friend first ... even then I've noticed things can go to crap
pretty quickly.

I'll go ahead and add that to the idea station.
Message 18 of 24
dave

pretty quickly.

Message 19 of 24
dave

pretty quickly.

Message 20 of 24
bourno

I will have to try and see what Meshmixer can do.  I see it can send files to 123D, does Fusion have a way to use the files as well?

I hate to say it. but when I have needed to adjust some STL files, I make my needed pieces in Fusion and STL them out.  And then use TinkerCAD to cut them or join the STL parts together.  TinkerCAD just makes Imported STLs into Solids on its own without being told or a hassle.

Thanks for letting me know to turn off History, then Mesh to BRep, then go to Patch, then go to Modify and Merge, just to make Solids of the faces only.  Again, TinkerCAD, go to Import, drag file to Import and the part is a complete Solid.  Too bad TinkerCAD is quite basic for how you need to manipulate objects, but makes STLs into Solids so easy without any effort.

Wes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums