Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused between .step and .stp files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
marti.bastida
17034 Views, 4 Replies

Confused between .step and .stp files

Hi there. A little of history:

I have a .x3d file which I have converted to .stp with a specfic program. The program screws with the dimensions and the .stp model is 0,00254 times what it should be (no matter what I do, so I have just left it like that).

To solve this I have imported the .stp file into fusion 360 and scaled it down. The problem comes when I save it: it saves it as .step (maybe because the part has different components) but I need it as .stp to be able to import it into kicad.

Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
MRWakefield
in reply to: marti.bastida

Yes, there's no difference between STEP and STP, they're the same format. All you need to do is rename the file you export from F360 from .STEP to .STP then you'll be able to import it to KiCAD.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.

Marcus Wakefield

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You'll find it here. Hope you find it useful.
Message 3 of 5
marti.bastida
in reply to: MRWakefield

I've found the underlying problem:

After importing the .stp file into fusion360 and scaling it down I export it as .step (I don't have any other option) with no problems. However, if I then try to open that .step in fusion360 it appears to be blank. That's why kicad showed nothing when I changed to .stp extension and imported it into Kicad.

I attach the .stp file which is not scaled down and the .step file where you can see that it contains nothing (it should contain the same as the .stp file but scaled down by a factor of 0.00254)

Message 4 of 5

I attach the .step file here compressed as zip since the page doesn't allow me to attach it on the previous reply as .step

Message 5 of 5
MRWakefield
in reply to: marti.bastida

Ok, I've opened the file and I see it consists of mesh bodies only. This might well be the problem with your re-exported file, as F360 might not support this and I'm not sure that KiCAD will either (I could be wrong though!). Regardless of this, I wouldn't even bother using this file. This is such a simple part to model I'd just model it from scratch in Fusion. It will only take a few minutes. If you really wanted to you could use the meshes to construct some mesh sketches but it would still be easier just to model from scratch.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.

Marcus Wakefield

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You'll find it here. Hope you find it useful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report