Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assembly Feature

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
chris
960 Views, 5 Replies

Assembly Feature

Hey all.

I'm working on a Nicholson workbench design and I'm adding the finishing touches:

Capture.JPG

I've got a four leg assemblies, three of which are the same and one which is the same of the others but which needs a hole cut for the vise guide:

Assembly Feature.JPG

Is there a way to create an "assembly feature" with a rectangular hole just through this one leg? This is how I would build the thing.

Thanks

chris

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
GilmerJose
in reply to: chris

I think Right now there is no a "Feature Assembly", but you can try with copy a Leg component and "Paste New" and then Make the hole in the new one.

Gilmer J. Vizconde

If it was useful please mark as a solution and give me kudos  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
cekuhnen

@chris @GilmerJose

Ah why dont you use solid combine to cut the space out by a sketch that uses the same dimension (find sketch through intersection of model through sketch plane)?

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 4 of 6
chris
in reply to: cekuhnen

This works, but the cut is applied to all the instances of the leg pieces.  Not really what I want.

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
TrippyLighting

Correct! None of the replies address that, but it can actually be done.  I made a video a few weeks (embedded below) that explains the fundamental of how to do this.

Also, the handout I prepared for the class I co-hosted  at Autodesk University has a section on (feature) configurations and applies directly to this problem and provides the solution.

In short, instead of copy/pasting a component, create an empty component for the leg  and then copy/paste the body from the other leg into it. Then you can add that cutout to just that component.

If all that is too abstract and long winded you could also just share your design and I'll show you. 

Peter Doering
Message 6 of 6
chris
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Sorry been up to my nether regions in reptiles and haven't had a chance to do a lookie see at this.  Will let you know 

cheers

chris

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report