Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A slice of cake

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
HanswurstNC
775 Views, 9 Replies

A slice of cake

Hi,

Anyone know how to create a sectional "slice" of a cylindrical object?

Thanks

Hanswurst

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
AndrewSears
in reply to: HanswurstNC

Hi Hanswurst,

Here is a slice of cake.  🙂

Model the cylinder and create a sketch on the top face.

Creating sketch.PNG

Now select "Split Body" and choose the sketch as the splitting tool.

splitting tool.PNG

Click "ok" and you should get a slice of cake (2 bodies).

slice of cake.PNG

Hope that helps.  Let me know if you are getting something different.

Thanks,

Andy

Message 3 of 10
HanswurstNC
in reply to: AndrewSears

Awesome, thanks Andy.

Is there a way to do it using the Section Analysis tools so that I don't have to split the body?

Thanks again,

Hanswurst

Message 4 of 10
AndrewSears

We don't have a way to visualize a slice of cake shaped section using only the sectioning tools.  That sounds like a good Idea Station item.

I tried creating 2 workplanes (at some angle) but only one can be selected for the sectioning plane.  You would want both planes to contribute in the sectioning.

Andy 

Message 5 of 10
HanswurstNC
in reply to: AndrewSears

I tried the same thing.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 10
HanswurstNC

Twas such a simple explanation I accepted it as a solution, then...

I tried your solution above but I can't get the Split Body dialog to come up. The tool tip pops up when I start the command and asks me to select the body to split, but when I select a body I have no way to switch over and select a splitting too.

My cylinder is actually a component with other components inculded in it. I can't select the component from the browser but I can dig into it and select bodies that are part of it (royal pain diaz).

thoughts?

Hanswurst

Message 7 of 10
AndrewSears

The fact that it is an assembly should not matter and you should be able to split the body.  That is strange the dialog is not showing up.

Can you reset the layout back to default?  Is the split body dialog on another screen?

reset to default layout.png

Andy 

Message 8 of 10
Oceanconcepts

Hanswurst,

This sounds a lot like an earlier situation where you were not able to see the dialog for a tool towards the end of this thread:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Getting-started-with-constraints-and-handles-...

Did you ever figure out why you didn't have the dialog there? Perhaps it is related.  

This is what you should see:

Fusion 360ScreenSnapz013.jpg

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 9 of 10
HanswurstNC
in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Hi Andy

I'm still having a problem with dialog boxes that don't show up during commands. This time it involves the pattern command. I've been fighting it for a while. I have one of several situations: a hole through the wall of a cylinder oriented radially, or an extrusion in the same place. When I try to make a radial pattern with either one, I see a tool tip asking for the components, bodies or objects, but no dialog box. I have the objects selected (tried both kinds) but I never see the dialog asking for the rest of the info needed for a radial pattern. It seems like there's something missing from my install?

This particular arrangement of holes through cylinder walls on radial patterns is a big part of what I need to use F360 to do and making these patterns has been a struggle. As a general statement, F360 has been one (among many) of the harder programs I've self taught. Hopefully that's a matter of development...

Thanks

Hanswurst

Message 10 of 10

I just notice that the Command Dialog doesn't show up on your side when watching the video you uploaded to another post (sketch geometry move).

Probably the solution in below post will help you to get it back:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Get-Help-with-Fusion-360/Missing-Command-Palette/td-p/4889386

Please let us know if it doesn't work for you. And we would also appreciate if you know and share how to reproduce this issue.

Thanks,

Macro

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums