Community
HSM Post Processor Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Post Processors and how do I get them?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
anthony.graves
32448 Views, 19 Replies

What are Post Processors and how do I get them?

CAM requires post processors which are essential printer drivers for CNC machines. These post processors allow the CAM tools to format toolpaths into CNC programs, a.k.a. G-Code. These CNC programs are excuted by the CNC control to drive the machine as it removes material from stock to produce a finished part.

The CAM tools that are now part of Fusion 360 include a variety of standard library post processors or "posts". If your machine is not listed in the post processor library you may need to request a special post to be created. If the post for your machine is listed, you may need to have some modifications done to get the exact output you are looking for. Depending on your experience in machining and machine tool knowledge this may or may not be important to you. For others, such as professional CNC programmers - this is essential.

To obtain more information or request a post or post modifications please visit: http://camforum.autodesk.com/index.php?board=3.0. Because all Autodesk CAM tools utilize the same post processor system and CAM kernel we have a dedicated forum to discuss all things CAM.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Autodesk Inc

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
cekuhnen
in reply to: anthony.graves

Where can I see if the CNC is being supported?

At Wayne we use a K2CNC KG4925HD-5-TT and I went to the link you send me and did not find a thread which lists supported CNC mills.

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 3 of 20
anthony.graves
in reply to: cekuhnen

Thanks for the question.

You can access the standard library posts from the CAM tools inside Fusion 360.

1. Select Post Process from the CAM toolbar

Fusion360-Post-Toolbar.png

2. Click the drop-down menu to display the list of included posts*

Fusion360-Posts.png

* We will be updating the library to include addtional post processors, but the current list includes:

- Fanuc

- Haas

- Heidenhain

- Mazak

- Mitsubishi

- Okuma

- Thermwood

This basic set is provided but will be expanded in the next update (Fusion 360 update) to include a broader range of machines and controls supported in HSMWorks and Inventor HSM.

Please submit your request for a specific post to the Post Development Team over in the Post Section of the Autodesk CAM Forum. They'll help you out.

Note: You can use your Autodesk ID to log in and submit a request on the Forum. A login is required to post.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Autodesk Inc

Message 4 of 20
DWhiteley

Hi Anthony,

I'm looking at editing Post Processors. Is there any documentation on the creation/editing of the posts, syntax etc.?

I have 30 or so years of expertise in CAM & posts, so I'm confident in what is required for the machinist but not the program that you are using for the creation of the posts.

I hope I've exaplained this correctly. 

Dave

Message 5 of 20
fonsecr
in reply to: DWhiteley

Hi Dave,

I can see you have some experience with VB which helps since the posts are written in JavaScript.

Send a mail to cam.posts@autodesk.com and we will send you the getting started manual + reference manual.

René

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 6 of 20
robertbaruch
in reply to: fonsecr

The UI changed recently. It's now a dockable window:

Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 12.41.32 PM.png

Message 7 of 20
anewenergy
in reply to: cekuhnen

The post processor is found where you just wrote the cutter path.  Right click on it, and it will give you the option to select Post Process.  Selecet that then select your machine.  After that has been selected, say post.  If you have no tool changer you may have to edit out the "T"  Change so your CNC does not go looking for that tool.  You will have to zero out your cutter before you launch the program.  Good Luck,   below are a few screen shots.

post process 1.png

post processor.png

Remember:  You have to setup the workpiece and activate the part you are writting CAM code for.

Good Luck

Automating great ideas. Tooling & Technologies
Message 8 of 20

I guess that's the post dialog for the Mac, the PC one's different and hopefully the PC one doesn't get down graded like the library manger was!

Here's the PC dialog.

Capture.PNG

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 20
anewenergy
in reply to: HughesTooling

I had been running Fusion on a Windows box for years now.  the iMAC configuration is so much better.   Everything seems to work the way it was intended.   Really cool how much better the iMAC behaves.

Pat

Automating great ideas. Tooling & Technologies
Message 10 of 20
brianrepp
in reply to: anewenergy

FYI - moving forward, please reference an the updated Post Processors thread here:  http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/computer-aided-machining-cam/post-processor-101/td-p/5916925

Message 11 of 20

Hello, 

at my school we use a Biesse Rover BG. where can I find the post proces  for this machine  for Fusion 360? 

Normally they use alphacam. But I want to use fashion because i can use it on my mac. 

pleas let me know if you could help me. 

Greetings 

Mitchell 

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 20
DWhiteley
in reply to: mitchelldeb2

Hi, All the available posts are here:

http://cam.autodesk.com/posts/

Regards

Dave

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Message 13 of 20
AchimN
in reply to: mitchelldeb2

@mitchelldeb2, please have a look here for more information:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-post-processor-forum/hsm-post-adjustments-needed-find-your-right-...

Thanks.

Achim.N
Principal Technology Consultant
Message 14 of 20
elbregtWKM24
in reply to: AchimN

Greetings 

My name is Elbregt

We got a license for powermill (cam software) and inventor.

I am asking if there is a generic postprocessor of the datron next that works with powermill. I already have asked someone of powermill and they told me that there was none.

Is it easy to adjust the datron next postprocessor of HSM so that i can use it for Powermill?

I know the basics of visual basic

Best wishes 

Elbregt

Message 15 of 20
fonsecr
in reply to: elbregtWKM24

Hi Elbregt,

No sorry, you cannot use or convert an HSM post for use with PowerMILL. You will need to make a new post specifically for PowerMILL. Not sure what the produce will be for you but I would start by asking your reseller (or similar contact) to see what they say.

If you didn't already, you can ask on the PowerMILL post forum.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 16 of 20
ceditutto
in reply to: fonsecr

Hello,

I'm new here, I'm sorry if I have post my question in a wrong place. The CNC 3 axis that I'm starting to use is equipped with Fanunc series 0, how can I find the right post processor for this controller.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Marco

Message 17 of 20

@ceditutto

The Generic Fanuc post processor will be the right place to start for you.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 18 of 20
ceditutto

Ok I try! Thank you!
Message 19 of 20
cferriola

Go to the link and flounder for a while trying to find the right area to look(layout of this site is terribly cluttered), only to find a response that says call your reseller....

Message 20 of 20
jeff.pek
in reply to: cferriola

Hi -

Sorry, which link are you referring to?

Another place to look is the online post library, at http://cam.autodesk.com/posts.

Here you can find all of the "stock posts" that we make available. You can search for these by name, machine type, controller, etc.

If you don't find what you want here, you can use the Post Processor forum to ask for advice on how to best work with the particular machine you have.

Jeff

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report