Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

contour along a 3d spline ?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
rumpelstielz
590 Views, 2 Replies

contour along a 3d spline ?

i am trying to figure out how to do this but it seems neither contour nor trace does what i want. basically i want atrace operation that is not cutting on the path but on the side of it like a contour, here's the trace:

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.07.45.png

it does what i want and follows the angle of the headstock but the problem is that trace only runs the cutter centered on the path. i thought i could fix it by using stock to leav -> axial offset but this doesn't seem to work and produces no result and the cutter is still centered on the path.

with contour the problem is that i only get an overall depth, but i want an equal depth all around the contour:

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.08.02.png

then i thought i might be able to use offset in the sketch but it seems you can't offset 3D splines at all.

i tried using the 3d contour operation but for some reason i cannnot select the outline neither from the model nor the one i created as a sketch. but although it sounds like what i need i don't think 3d contour does what i want.

what am i missing ?

==================================================
GENERAL DISCLAIMER: if there isn't a file attached to my posts then there is a reason for it. wherever i can i will attach a file for troubleshooting.If no file is attached i will always try to explain as clearly as possible with illustrative screenshots. when i have an issue that can only be helped by attaching a file which i cannot share publicly i won't ask about it here.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
daniel_lyall
in reply to: rumpelstielz

In the Passes tab for traces you have Sideways compensation what you can use to have the cutter on the right side, center or the left side of the line you are tracing 

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 3
rumpelstielz
in reply to: daniel_lyall

thanks so much, not sure how i missed this Smiley Very Happy

==================================================
GENERAL DISCLAIMER: if there isn't a file attached to my posts then there is a reason for it. wherever i can i will attach a file for troubleshooting.If no file is attached i will always try to explain as clearly as possible with illustrative screenshots. when i have an issue that can only be helped by attaching a file which i cannot share publicly i won't ask about it here.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report