Community
Fusion API and Scripts
Got a new add-in to share? Need something specialized to be scripted? Ask questions or share what you’ve discovered with the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOGBONE ADD-IN

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
dghylin
4212 Views, 16 Replies

DOGBONE ADD-IN

Is there a DogBone add-in that's currently available and working.  I've looked and read about one that seemed to be available a couple of years ago, but also read about a lot of frustration in getting it installed and working right.  At my age, don't need the frustration, but would benefit from a working DogBone add-in......:)

TIA

Don

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
DVE2000
in reply to: dghylin

I found one in github and have recently started trying to enhance it a bit. It's not perfect, but it may be sufficient for you. https://github.com/caseycrogers/Dogbone

Message 3 of 17
dghylin
in reply to: DVE2000

DVE, thanks for the response.  I got it dl'd and loaded into Fusion.  But can't figure out how to get it to work.

I've attached a jpg of the type of dogbone I've been using, developing them by hand but any  kind would be nice.  Also a Screenshot of  the test

I ran trying to get Dogbone working.  A simple block with a slot in it that needs dogbone at two inside corners (no dimensions, just a test).

I think Dogbone is in the correct place in Fusion, it does show in the Add-Ins and looks to be active but I've tried every  evironment

and am not making  any progress.

Clue this old guy in please.....:)

Don

Message 4 of 17
dghylin

For some reason, the Screencast wouldn't load above.....try again....

Message 5 of 17
dghylin

Got it running, sort of.  The dogbones on the left are fine but the ones on the right are offset too much.  Center to Center on the Dogbones is the same as the width of the slot, thus eats too much material out.  If that can be fixed it looks to be an excellent add-in......:)

Don

Message 6 of 17
DVE2000

You'd have to post an export for me to see what you're talking about.

Message 7 of 17
dghylin

Well, not sure what changed between this afternoon and this evening but the DogBone is working great now. 

Thanks for the tip on this, appreciate it very much,

Have a great Holiday Season,

Don

Message 8 of 17
DVE2000

Thanks Don, you too!
Message 9 of 17
DVE2000

Just wanted to let you know that you weren't going nuts when you saw some weird offset dogbones with the release you had. I just did a release which, among other things, also removed a bug for “constrained” dogbone creation that I inadvertently introduced when trying out minimal dogbone creation.

I would just always add the dogbones last and use the faster "unconstrained" checkbox being set. You can always delete them from the timeline and recreate them if you need to change something in the design.

Message 10 of 17
dghylin

So far, the DogBone is working great for me.  I think I may have caused the initial problem myself.....not really unusual....:)

In the drop down when you open DogBone, there is a button (OutPut Unconstrained Geometry) that I clicked off......not even sure what that does but I do remember unclicking it. 

Then when I reopened the program later in the day that button was again checked and the program worked.  So, I've kept my hands off those buttons and the program keeps working correctly.....;)

Don

Message 11 of 17
DVE2000

The original designer set up two modes. The (original) constrained mode is meant to add constraints with the dogbones. The idea is that if the sketch is changed earlier in the timeline the dogbones will change or move with it, once the sketch is closed. But it doesn’t really do that properly. Unconstrained is at least 5 times faster, but it totally doesn’t support changing the sketch. You should just add dogbones last, unconstrained. You can always delete them from the timeline if needed. Go ahead and play with the other options, though. You can always undo. If you hover the mouse over the inputs, popups have some descriptions. There’s also a README file.  It’s what you see in github. 

Message 12 of 17
urban4BL5D

Hi there.

I tryed using this but only get a massiv error-message. Se picture.

You got any clue what can be wrong.

Error.jpg 

Message 13 of 17
DVE2000
in reply to: urban4BL5D

Can you export that design and post it here? I couldn’t replicate the problem. This error was caused by just trying to show a dialog box and not with actually calculating or creating dogbones. 

Message 14 of 17
revmagi

Hello, 

I started getting this error after having the add-in working. I have no clue what is going on. I have tried and tried just making a simple 3 sided item with my tabs going into the 2 sides from the back. I may them down and I click on the add in and I get this. I exit, I get the dialog bog but can do nothing with it.

Please help.  Thanks for your time!!

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 12.58.28 PM.png

Message 15 of 17
pludikar
in reply to: revmagi

Hi,

The file containing the stored add-in variables has been corrupted.  The way around this, until we put in an error check into the next release of the add-in, is:

1. Open file explorer and go to %AppData%\Roaming\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\API\AddIns\Dogbone
  2. If the directory contains a file called default.dat - please delete it and run Dogbone again.

Let me know if that has solved the problem, or if you need help to follow these steps.

regards
Peter

I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be very, very dangerous.

Life long R&D Engineer (retired after 30+ years in Military Communications, Aerospace Robotics and Transport Automation).
Message 16 of 17
revmagi
in reply to: pludikar

Thank you for your response. I am using this with MapBoard Pro and I thought there was some kind of conflict. It is working perfectly now and I have to say I look forward to any enhancements you make. While I love that this is free, you work is greatly appreciated and I would gladly be willing to pay for this or even donate. As a newbie, I have gone through the course and learned how to do the dogbones manually, but my current project has over 100 dogbones that need to be cut... and that would take so much time to get right... It just took me 3 minutes.

Thanks for your time.

Message 17 of 17
pludikar
in reply to: revmagi

Hi @revmagi,

The only conflict with Mapboards is actually due to an internal bug in F360.  However, this only occurs with the add-in while in parametric dogbone mode and on mirrored components.  The issue has been reported and logged already (we'll just have to wait for AD to fix it, unfortunately).  I've tried several workarounds, but each time I've hit the same bug.  This issue doesn't happen on the static 

If you need to use parametric then, if possible, wind back the timeline to before the mirroring operation and apply the dogbones to the unmirrored original.  That way the dogbones will become incorporated into the mirrored component and will be less affected by the internal F360 bug.

Let us know if you have any further problems. 

We're very happy to make this add-in available to anyone who wants it.  If you do want to donate something - send something to the charity of your choice 🙂 .

Regards

Peter

I'm not an expert, but I know enough to be very, very dangerous.

Life long R&D Engineer (retired after 30+ years in Military Communications, Aerospace Robotics and Transport Automation).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Autodesk Design & Make Report