Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modelling tools enhancements en expansion

Modelling tools enhancements en expansion

Judging from the releases of Revit the past decade we can safely assume that modelling tools are not Autodesks priority, which is why to this day, pretty much every architect and architecture student uses Rhino/Grasshopper for conceptual design. Dynamo could have bridged that gap, if the developers didn't spend all their resources on data management tools instead of form finding tools. FormIt could be that missing tool for architect. But unfortunately the spring release doesn't reflect that as not a single modelling enhancement has been added. I hope the FormIt team can get back on track asap and really develop the tool for its purpose and not be distracted by engineers who seems to favour production tools over design tools.  

What are the tools architects needs:

• multiple spline types (degrees)
  • nurbs modelling tools 
  • T-spline
  • mesh modelling tools 
  • solid modelling tools 
1 Comment
Anonymous
Not applicable

While I'd prefer to see 3d modeling tools enhancements in Revit, I can understand challenges that comes with that due to the poor modeling kernel of Revit. And therefore, starting from scratch with a general purpose 3d modeling tools like Formit is the best option for the moment. However, the success of this software heavily relies on its modeling tools. If the geometry creation is even more limited than the already extremely limited Revit modeling tools, then what is the purpose of Formit? Like most firms, our designers use Rhino and sometimes SketchUp to design their projects. The way FormIt is being developed, I don’t see it fitting into the workflow, unless Formit has a large modeling toolkit. That should be the focus Formit.

In addition to the tools already mentions:

• Chamfer edges
  • 3d fillet edges (now they are limited to only two edges
  • Bulge
  • Surface bridge tool, blend between two surfaces
  • Smooth modifiers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report