Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FormIT to Revit Splines

FormIT to Revit Splines

Hi,

It would be nice if the FormIT spline could be made into a Revit Spline. Without it makes it impossible to make i.e. a curved wall or curved roof in FormIt and then later turn that into a wall or roof by face in Revit. At the moment you get a bunch of individual faces in Revit on import.

Best Regards,

Rolf

FormIt-Revit-Spline.jpg

4 Comments
Tobias_Hathorn
Autodesk

Hi Rolf - This should be possible to do without getting the facets in Revit. It just depends on HOW you make the spline block in FormIt. 

My theory is that you made the FormIt shape by drawing a block - then drawing a spline on the top face and pushing the volume down to 'remove' the geometry? This will result in facets as you see here.

If you do it the opposite way... draw the profile you want and extrude UP - then this will keep the definition of the spline in translation to Revit.

Note that other changes to the geometry like booleans, or face edits, etc will cause the spline definition to be lost. But in simple cases like what you created above.. you CAN achieve what you're hoping to.

RSK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tested your suggestion and you're right - the result will depend on which order the geometry is created.

It's good to know this "work-around", but I still would very much prefer that the results didn't rely on the order of creation. That would make FormIt a much more flexible sketching tool to work with (considering a workflow with Revit) and allow for more complex shapes (i.e. roofs or facades) that actually could be used in Revit later on.

It's has proberly something to do with how FormIt handles geometry - you get the same kind of trouble with imported SketchUp models, but solids created in AutoCAD will maintain smooth surfaces even after complex boolean operations.

Best regards,

Rolf

pieter5
Advisor

Having curved geometry be faceted when importing to Revit is a huge deal breaker for us. We understand that Formit is a polyhedral modeler and Revit wants exact geometry but would it be possible to have Formit convert the (faceted) curves to Revit curves when importing to Revit? 

Tobias_Hathorn
Autodesk

That is a fantastic request, Pieter. I wish I could say it is easy to achieve. But it really is a challenging problem. We are aware of the unpleasant faceted representation of curves, arcs, and splines from SKP and FormIt in Revit. We don't have a great solution for you at this point. I'm sure you could manually do some tricky workarounds like 'group' your curves separate from other linear geometry so that you can delete the old faceted FormIt element after you've created a new Revit arc. 

Thanks for the request! This is a big one!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report