Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to update changes and new masses in Revit.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
robertoprea
560 Views, 1 Reply

Trying to update changes and new masses in Revit.

Hi,

I seem to have a problem and cant really figure out the reason why. I saw whit in the Formit Friday Episode 6 on youtube. But Im not able to make it work. 

I have a building that I built in Formit and saved it to an AXM file. I started a new project in Revit and used the ADD-IN to load my AXM file. And as you can see in the screenshot below The first floor is called Formit360_Group_Botten: FamilyType1 and the second floor and up are groups that are named Formit360_Group_: Familytype2. When I made the building in Formit I built the second floor and just made copies for the other 12 floors up. 

Bild 1.png

I then When back to Formit because I wanted to make some changes to the second floor. So when I made the changes to the second floor it also made the same changes to the other floors aswell witch is perfect. I saved this one as a NEW AXM file. 

I then started a new project in Revit, once again I used the ADD-IN to load my new AXM file that I made the changes in. And as you can see in the screenshot below the floors still have the same group names and family names as the first project I started in Revit.

Bild 2.png 

Now I wanted to upload the changes I made to the floors to my first Revit project. I went to Edit Family. When the family opened I saw the silhouettes of the previews floor shape as you can see in the first picture here below. I closed down that one and took Edit Family again. Now I can see the the silhouettes of the changes that I made. 

(the same thing happens if I only have this project open in Revit and just go in to Edit Family)

Silu 1.pngSilu 2.png

I now loaded it in to the First project. And the floors wear automatically changed. I guess thats because thay still got the same group and family name.

Now I wanted to add a new part to my building in Formit. So I opened up the last file I hade worked in (the AXM file i made the changes to the floors). I added some columns, that I made in to a group and copied them to each side of the building. I then saved this AXM file as a new file.

I once again started a new project in Revit (the third one) Used the ADD-IN to load my AXM file. But now as you can see in the screenshor below all the masses got new names when they wear loaded in to Revit. the first floor still got the same family name but went from being FamilyType1 to FamilyType2. My second floor and up also hade the same group name but went from being FamilyType2 to FamliyType3. And the new "columns" i hade made is Now FamilyType1.

pelare.png

I upload the file to the first Revit project. It then becomes a component that I have to place out in the scene.

So my questions are first and foremost why Revit automatically changes the Family names? Why do no masses made in Formit when reloaded to Revit become familys that already exists?

Is it me that is using the wrong workflow or what? How can I build a building in Formit, make changes after a while, load the changes and then if I add parts (new masses) how do I loade dhese in to Revit without having them change there familynames.

I also tried to do the same thing but by using the same Formit file, so instade of saving it to a new file everytime I make changes or add new masses I re-saved it on the original Formit file. BUT I STILL GET THE SAME PROBLEMS.

even If i use the ADD-IN and try to Reload familys nothing still happens.

Does anybody have a better workflow for things like this.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
mengelmn
in reply to: robertoprea

Will try an help with my thoughts on these questions.  Note I don't work for Autodesk so these are primarily opinions based on experience.  

Is it me that is using the wrong workflow or what? How can I build a building in Formit, make changes after a while, load the changes and then if I add parts (new masses) how do I loade dhese in to Revit without having them change there familynames.

To Accomdate an itterative work flow (which is what you are descibing) I would point out two things that I think are important but often missed.

1) There is not a tool (that I'm aware of) today that can fully provide both the flexibility of conceptual design workflows and more robust BIM workflows in a seamless, perfect, itterative workflow.  The only one that comes close is Fusion360 but that is a whole different game.  

2) As far as replacing / reloading families, which are already in the project, when a new AXM is loaded.  I've asked for and pondered this for some time.  There are many difficulties if this were implemented (not to say it should not be).  One is specifically related to Revit and Using Mass by Face Tools.  Try this workflow (Purely in Revit) - If you create an inplace mass of 6 sides, finish the mass, Paint the 6 sides different materials, edit the mass in a manner that creates and additional 2 faces.  What you will find is materials (sometime not always, but often) that you painted on faces move.  This same process occours on importing updated Formit Geometry.

How do you work itteratively between formit and revit then.  In a nutshell This is how I do it (Or a few Ways).

Option 1

• Import my full AXM into Revit Project (RVT)
  • Edit the AXM File
  • Export the Edited Formit Geometry to an isolated AXM file (Using export selected functionality)
  • Delete my Intial Formit Geometry  in Revit which I would like to replace.
  • Reimport AXM from the Export Geometry

Option 2

• Import my full AXM into Revit Massing Family (RFA)
  • Load the RFA into a Revit Project
  • Edit the AXM File
  • Edit the RFA
  • Delete my Intial Formit Geometry in the RFA.
  • Reimport AXM into my RFA
  • Re Load the RFA back to my project.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report