Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with materials

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
alejommiranda
705 Views, 6 Replies

Problem with materials

Hi, i'm new with FormIt (i've been using SketchUp for a few years) and I really like the software. My only problem is with the materials. Whenever I try to apply a material in the Windows app (not the online app) I see all these amazing 3d materials that look really good in the preview-like cube, but when I finally apply them on my model, I only see like a super glossy surface with the colour of the material. Here are some screens so you can see what I'm talking about:

I'm using a GeForce 750Ti 2GB, an i7 4790K and 16GB of RAM, so no problem in the specs department I guess...

Thank you.

1.jpg2.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi,

Thanks for trying FormIt! Some materials have reflectivity and gloss values that seem too high.

Can you try editing the Material (right-click on Material in list, select Edit Material), and turning all gloss and reflection values in the Editor to 0? This will likely make the material darker, so try lightening the color, and also increasing the scale of the texture considerably, and see if this looks better in canvas.

Regards,

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your reply! No, that doesn't seem to be the problem, I don't even see any texture no mater what scale I set. I just see a plain dull colour (the colour-palette of the texture) and it is very glossy. Turning down the gloss just leaves me with a plain matte colour, without textures. It is very weird and I don't know what to do, I guess I won't use this feature or I will return to SketchUp until this is fixed.

I leave another set of screens so you get a better look to what I'm saying, on the sketch you see the "material" applied and on the right you see the material library, the way the material should showcase on my model:

1.jpg

Message 4 of 7

Double post, sorry. 

Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the screenshots and for trying other Materials! It does look like the textures are somehow missing. This is what I see when I paint the three Materials you tried:

20170414.PNG

Can you try the Web app and see if the Materials there load for you? http://formit360.autodesk.com/app

Have you tried closing the desktop app and reopening?

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead
Message 6 of 7

It occurs a similar problem to my FormIt Test.

Finally, the import scale was at 0, so all wall was black.

I assume that the normal scale should be around 1'

Please Confirm

Message 7 of 7

Hi Gregory,

Yes, materials must have a non-0 horizontal and vertical scale. FormIt should handle a 0 value more gracefully - either by forcing it to a non-0 value, or just not drawing the texture or other maps. Perhaps using 0 would be useful to temporarily turn off the maps without deleting them?

Did this happen when importing a file or did you set the values to 0 yourself?

When you make a new Material in FormIt, the default is 1' or 0.3m. Some materials will import with different default scale values. 

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report