Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FormIt 360 (Desktop) Locks - spinning wheel

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Luigi.Coletta.SG
652 Views, 8 Replies

FormIt 360 (Desktop) Locks - spinning wheel

Both yesterday and now today, I've started using FormIt on a project and just with very simple commands (spinning around, push/pull) the software just locks...nothing I can do.  I thought it was a fluke yesterday, but it happened again today.  I can't use it on this project until I know this won't happen again.  I have a Lenovo W540 laptop (no dell) 2.69 GHz (4 cores) - 32GM memory and on Windows 10.  Anyone know what might be the issue?  Thank you in advance!

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Luigi - Sounds like a performance issue resulting from a model growing in size (mostly related to facet count from curved objects) - what is the size of the file? Do you have any DWG imports in it? I wonder if you've imported anything from Revit or SketchUp? Those are the usual suspects as those softwares can handle bigger models than FormIt. I am happy to take a look at your file today if you want to share it - or even a screenshot?

The remedy is really to minimize large models as best you can - there are a few strategies here I can help elaborate on.

Thanks for posting!

Tobias

Message 3 of 9

Tobias...maybe you hit the nail on the head...it's a very basic model...but I did bring in a skp file that is very light (3.2MB) and it contains a toposurface from google (using sketchups geolocation with terrain.  Unfortunately I don't have a saved file...I just imported the terrain from skp and then started modeling...I only went as far as creating 1 box with few ins/outs then crashed...the terrain is very subtle...so maybe I'll skip that and use the FormIt location tool to get the site I need.  I will try and report here later.  Thank you!

Message 4 of 9

Nope...not related to sketchup.  I started Formit...drew some lines, extruded 2 regions, deleted a plane and few lines...then got stuck with the wheel of death!  last thing was asking me to do was "Drag the red dot to start sketch"

Message 5 of 9

Wow - that is unexpected!

So if you start a new file from scratch and draw a few shapes you end up with a crash? That is not right.

I am not sure what to advise except can you make sure it's a clean file, clean start with no SKP import at all? Sometimes you have to close the app to clear the memory.

Message 6 of 9

Yes...I know...I played with FormIt in the past...never had that issue before.  I am using desktop...thought that would be more stable anyways... so I quickly messed around...and yes...after a little it crashed again...see attachement.  I will try the web version...see if that works better.  I am using pro.  thanks!

Message 7 of 9

Tobias...I tried using the web app thru Chrome...and I could do what ever with it and didn't crash...I couldn't sign in with pro...some kind of security issue...but it didn't crash.  So my issue is related with the desktop version?  I guess so.  There isn't any kind of automated feature in the desktop version of pro...is there?  I hope I can figure out what is wrong.

Thanks!

Message 8 of 9

Tobias...does this shed any light on what might be happening?  At the moment that I got the wheel spinning...I noticed this in the folder where the file is saved in...scratch.js

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 9

Hi Luigi,

Really sorry you're having this problem - FormIt for Windows shouldn't be getting stuck like this, especially with a small amount of geometry.

Can you answer a few questions:

- What graphics card is installed on this machine?

- Are your graphics drivers up to date?

- I noticed Ambient Shadows were turned on in one of your screenshots (Visual Styles panel, Surfaces tab). Can you try turning these off and see if it has an impact on performance?

Thanks,

Josh Goldstein
Product Lead

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report