Community
FormIt Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FormIt Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FormIt topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change FormIT Family Category after importing into Revit

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
ndabideen
2597 Views, 15 Replies

Change FormIT Family Category after importing into Revit

Hi all,

I'm thinking of using FormIT to create some quick custom millwork families, but the only option upon converting the FormIT .axm object to a RFA is a Mass category which cannot be changed.

This is not ideal for me as I cant schedule as Casework/Furniture etc..

I know there is no easy way to change a family category once it is in the Conceptual Mass environment, but id really like my team to be able to use FormIT to build free form families which would schedule properly.

Has anyone found a simple workaround for this category change/export from FormIT - Revit?

I would greatly appreciate any input you all may have.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Nicholas J. Dabideen

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Tobias_Hathorn
in reply to: ndabideen

Hi Nicholas - You can set the category in FormIt to Generic, Furniture, Specialty Equipment, and other 'stand-alone' families - as well as the Mass. 

The one 'gotcha' is the Revit rule that you cannot have 'Mass families' nested into 'Non-Mass families' - so in FormIt we prevent you from changing the category to Generic if you have other Groups nested below (that are set to Mass). Essentially you have to change the category from the lowest level of your grouping on up (or explode your nested groups).

Your idea is a VERY good one and I've done many examples of this - as well as seen customers do this with stairs.

One piece of advice which may not seem obvious: In FormIt, set your group's category to Generic. Then Open Revit, and instead of making a new project, make a new family - choose the desired template (Window, Door, etc), now go the Add-Ins tab and use 'Import FormIt 360 to Revit' command. Choose the Generic family.

Hope this helps!

Tobias

Message 3 of 16
ndabideen
in reply to: Tobias_Hathorn

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for your response.

This is exactly what id like to do and the workflow you mentioned with importing into the RFA template makes a lot of sense to me, but one question: how or where do I set/change the Category in FormIT?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Nicholas J. Dabideen

Message 4 of 16
Tobias_Hathorn

Hi Nicholas - AHA, yes that little piece of User Interface is a bit hidden.

1. You have to GROUP some geometry 
  2. Edit the group (by double clicking it)
  3. Go to the properties palette
  4. Choose the desired / available category from the drop down
  5. Give your group a meaningful name as this will be the imported family name

If you are using FormIt for Windows then you can do steps 4 and 5 from the Groups Tree list view - much easier for model management.

Hope this helps you get going!

Tobias

Message 5 of 16
ndabideen

Awesome!

That's what I was looking for!

Thanks Tobias!

Cheers!

Best Regards,

Nicholas J Dabideen

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Hello, just  a question, when i group my formit model and set it as generic, then bring it into Revit through the add ins tab, and try to bring it into a new family, it does not show up, any suggestions?

Thanks

Message 7 of 16
Tobias_Hathorn
in reply to: Anonymous

Quick answer - I've been importing the FormIt Group that has been set to Generic directly into a Revit family of the desired template - this is pretty helpful and fast. Can you try that?

I'll also contact you if you want to have me experiment with your file 

Thanks,

Tobias

Message 8 of 16
dmarchant

Thank you very very handy (but well hidden) in formit thank goodness i found your thread on this.

Many thanks chaps.

Message 9 of 16
Tobias_Hathorn
in reply to: dmarchant

Glad you found it too - you CAN change the category from the Groups Tree view (on the Windows app - not on web or iOS). 

The Category option is a little too hidden for my taste as well. It is where it is because that one change will affect all of the other instances of that Group - so it is a wider ranging change - and is a bit protected by being hidden.

Thanks for doing research on the forums - I'm very glad this resource was helpful to you.

Tobias

Message 10 of 16
dmarchant

Is there a reason the category options are a little limiting would it not be possible to match more Revit category in its options?

Message 11 of 16
Tobias_Hathorn
in reply to: dmarchant

The list of categories in FormIt is based on "stand-alone" (non-hosted, non-associative) family templates in Revit. In general we could use only Mass and Generic category, but we support the 'export' of RFA to FormIt of the wider range of categories (Furniture, Furniture System, Specialty Equipment, etc).

Philosophically, the question gets down to where the 'source of truth' for the design data lives. Should FormIt be where you edit the geometry, and update Revit (like the Revit Family editor). Or should you start with a framework of massing geometry in FormIt and evolve that model with real Revit geometry using FormIt as a reference. We support both workflows - but they should be entered into with an awareness of your downstream goals.

I should mention that technically, you can import FormIt groups categorized as 'generic' into the RFA template of your choice. You can also change the family category for FormIt groups in Revit from within the Family Editor. So there are a few 'workarounds' to have a wider category options.

Thanks,

Tobias

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

Hello Tobias, I'm still having trouble with my model, I would either like to paint materials on it and render it, I have tried wall by face however glazing does show like glazing and the wall faces seem like they don't show correctly, can you help?

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
Message 13 of 16
hworrell
in reply to: Anonymous

I am also curious about the materials issue with families made in formit. 

Message 14 of 16
tvollaro
in reply to: hworrell

@hworrell can you expand a bit on your question and maybe include the steps you are taking? This will be helpful in trying to diagnose what is going on. 

Tom Vollaro
Experience Design Architect - Autodesk
Message 15 of 16

It work. Thank you. I wonder why Autodesk do not show how to categorize in Tutorial? It's very important.

https://academy.autodesk.com/software/autodesk-formit

Message 16 of 16
pieter5

There's an idea on the Revit Ideas forum about being able to change the category of directshapes (=imports from Rhino, Formit, Dynamo etc). Consider adding your vote:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/change-category-of-rhino-sat-formit-object-after-creation...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report