Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar study on facade elements

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Bogdan_Chipara
146 Views, 4 Replies

Solar study on facade elements

Here's an interesting example of solar exposure study by MVRDV where they checked each facade element independently. Most likely done with Ladybug.

3630_SunRock_8.jpg

This kind of examples I would like to see also in Forma, at closer scale, where the solid geometry and the glass geometry are visible. Facade elements, not only mass.

I did similar studies on curtain panels in order to determine the design of the shaders in overexposed areas.

Labels (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hey! 

I personally always enjoy you questions and comments! Stirs great discussions 🙂 

As you know that is not yet possible in Forma but wanted to discuss that with you. Did you think about this workflow in terms of Facades or some other geometry? (entire buildings / Volumes? )
If we are thinking of the facades the main blocker there is as of now we are mostly operating on entire volumes and not yet diving into smaller pieces / seperate panels. 

The workflow I see there is:
Create facade (Potentially manually but most likely parametricaly) -> Analyze per panel -> Validate / Score

This can be done as: 
1. Validation (Colour for passing criteria or not) 
2. Generative design (Adjusting panels based on analysis) 

1. Which one of these do you envision?  
2. We can think of this in terms of Rhino (Or other modeling / generative tool) and doing modeling/generative design there while utilizing Forma for analysis OR having native capabilities for facades and having a "whole package" in Forma. Do you have some thoughts on that one? 

Message 3 of 5

Whatever it is that you implement, the most important thing is to keep it simple. One button, one click, one diagram showing up.(as you already have it for other tools)

Because stuff like Ladybug always ends up like some grasshopper spaghetti monster horror that only experts can solve. I don't want to be an expert and solve spagetti monsters that crash 7 times per day.

The essence of Forma is this clean interface, on the web, which I really like.

Anyone can use it without learning anything.

So the question is:
What can you implement while keeping things simple?

I think importing more detailed geometry will suffice.
Having a model like the one above, with many panels.

Users can compare results by observing, importing new variations.

Imagine having a glass building: one can show option 1 no shaders, option 2 vertical shaders, option 3 horizontal shaders. Just by importing the geometry. Setting up generative design at that level of detail might be too much.

A whole package doesn't seem like a good idea ether.

Message 4 of 5

Here is another example from a2m (www.a2m.be) architects on solar exposure of facade elements:

You can see on this screenshot the full workflow Grasshopper design - Ladybug analysis.

The problem here is the numbers:

Architects usually avoid using numbers, much better is to have percentage of red, with and without shaders.

Message 5 of 5

Thanks! 
I always loved LadyBug and flexibility it gives you to define workflows you want. 
There problem was always scaling them and make them easily digestable to the regular users that don't have time to learn the secrets of the GS spaghetti 🙂 

I think we understand that workflow and see a lot of value in it - The tricky part will still be creation of the facade / representation of it in Forma + Customizing the analysis to answer a specific question. I really believe that this sort of customization will be answered with extensions and how we build extandable ecosystem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report