Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OBJ Imports from Revit not aligning with the Forma environment

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
onurcan_mizrakQXTQS
305 Views, 5 Replies

OBJ Imports from Revit not aligning with the Forma environment

Hi, 

How do you import a custom terrain?

I have imported an OBJ into Forma but sun analysis only recognizes the ordered terrain data(surface).

I want a workflow that I can both modify the terrain which is exported as OBJ from revit, also I want to be able to keep updating the proposal.

After I have checked how to convert mesh to Terrain by georeferencing I am experiencing issues; 

-First I check the location information in my revit file which reveals the accquired coordinates by "Forma Add-in: Load Proposal", location tab provided this information "UTM84-36N" and lat-long values, 

-Second I export my topography from revit with OBJ export settings, 

-Third I import it into forma on the web, select the georeference to UTM 36N then enter the lat-long values as well as height value from the survey point.

Note: In another occasion I was dealing with a .dxf which was georeferenced then I tried to import it into forma but fail to do so, I changed values of the x and y but nothing seemed different. 

Note: There is another bug about terrain, I will post it after this is solved because this is far more important which criples the generative/iterative workflow.

Thanks, everyone!

Best, Onurcan

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

-Third I import it into forma on the web, select the georeference to UTM 36N then enter the lat-long values as well as height value from the survey point.

When you georeference in Forma, the X/Y coordinates you input should be a point in the coordinate system you have selected. So in your case they should be in meters in UTM 36N. If you only get them in lat/long from Revit, you can use e.g. this page to transform them: https://epsg.io/transform#s_srs=4326&t_srs=32636

Z should be in meters above sea level.

Trygve Aaberge
Software Engineer
Message 3 of 6

Hi again, 

So as far as understand I need a point's coordinates, 

I loaded my proposal from Forma to Revit 2023 using the Forma Add-on, which modified the location of my survey point and gave me N/S and E/W values of the base point according to that survey point.

If I click on the Location in The Project Location Tab I get the attached screen.

location.png

I get this GIS CODE : UTM85-36N and the lat/long values which is different from the base point values. 

Should I use the Base point values Accquired from Forma? 

Thanks, looking forward to your answer. 

Best

Message 4 of 6

Hey, I seem to forgot to put my question as a Reply to this respond, the post is in the thread.

Thanks  🙂

Message 5 of 6

Sorry for the late follow up. This might depend on what the OBJ exporter in Revit does, which I don't know, so I'm not sure how accurate an answer I can give. The coordinates you should input in Forma is which points the coordinates in the OBJ file is in reference too, and the point should be specified in the coordinate system you choose in the drop down (which the coordinates in the OBJ file is also in).

If the OBJ exporter creates an OBJ with points in reference to the project base point, then you should input that point. And if that point is only specified in lat/long in Revit, you would need to transform it to the coordinate system you export in yourself before inputing it in Forma. But you would have to check if this is what the OBJ exporter does.

Trygve Aaberge
Software Engineer
Message 6 of 6

@onurcan_mizrakQXTQS Did you find a solution to this? 
All the best, Marthe

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators