Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Forma roads to Revit

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Ian_Shafer
810 Views, 16 Replies

Export Forma roads to Revit

Greetings.

How can I see the roads generated by Forma in Revit?  

I loaded the roads library and can view them in Forma but when I load into Revit 2023, the only way I see these roads is in a 3D realistic view.  How can I see them in a plan view so I can make them a part of my site plan views?

Ian

Labels (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
greg_marr
in reply to: Ian_Shafer

We just released a new update yesterday that supports roads and property boundaries in Revit 2024 as terrain subdivisions.  The roads data we have is only centerlines, so they use a fixed width.  We don't have support for those elements in Revit 2022/2023 at this time.

Message 3 of 17
Ian_Shafer
in reply to: greg_marr

Hey Greg,
Thanks. Are these the roads that are imported through the library (like buildings) or the roads we might create as a part of our designs?
Message 4 of 17
greg_marr

It applies to both.

Message 5 of 17
Ian_Shafer

Greg,
I only see the image of the roads in 3D views set to Realistic. How do I make roads visible in plan views. Right now I need to 'trace' the roads w/ model lines in order to see them in any plan view. Am I missing some setting?
Message 6 of 17
greg_marr

The roads don't exist as geometry in 2022/2023, just the satellite image on the terrain.  In 2024, with the latest version of the add-in, they exist as subdivisions of the terrain Toposolid.  Here is a site plan view of a toposolid in 2024 showing the property boundaries and roads.

greg_marr_0-1702073682919.png

Message 7 of 17
Ian_Shafer

I see it now, thank you.

An additional question if I may ... 

image.png

Do all users on a project need to have the Forma Revit Add-In.msi installed?  In my opinion, this would be unnecessary.  I hope this can be corrected ...

thanks

Ian

Message 8 of 17
Ian_Shafer

Hi Greg

It is a toposolid, kind of ... 

Ian_Shafer_0-1702309186059.png

It cannot be changed into any of my TS families, I can only change the material.  Perhaps this is something you're team is still working on ...

Ian

Message 9 of 17
greg_marr

It is necessary for everyone that modifies the project to have the add-in installed if you will be sending data back to Forma.  The add-in has an element watcher which tracks changes made to the elements. 

If you want to share a project with someone that doesn't have the add-in and isn't going to be making any changes to the project, you can create a new copy of the Revit project and then use the Unlink function.  I'm not sure if that will clear the element watcher warning or not.  We can look into this more if that doesn't work.

Message 10 of 17
greg_marr

Toposolid Subdivisions are basically Toposolids that are hosted on the main Toposolid.  You should be able to modify the base Toposolid.  What kind of changes are you trying to make?

Message 11 of 17
Ian_Shafer

Greg,

Thanks for your answers. 

Because the roads import in "pieces" and with the setting that required all users in the model to have the add-in installed (and often updated), I believe that our strategy would be to import the Forma work to a linked model and copy the TS and subdivisions into our project model.  

This is not as clean as I would like but we can work with it when necessary.

thanks

Ian

Message 12 of 17
jortegaZE7UB

My office has Revit 2023 so you are saying that the roads will never show up in this version? We HAVE TO download 2024 to get it to import the roads?

Message 13 of 17
greg_marr
in reply to: jortegaZE7UB

The current support, roads imprinted on terrain, only works in Revit 2024.  We are looking at bringing in roads as model lines as we do for the site limits.

Message 14 of 17
jortegaZE7UB

Ugh, well it's decieving to act like roads we create in Forma and the raods it imports will show up. Now I got to go back to trying to trace roads from a grainy image. 

Message 15 of 17
greg_marr
in reply to: jortegaZE7UB

I believe that everything we've said about supporting roads has said Revit 2024 only.  Is there a place where we missed saying that?  If so, sorry, and we'll fix it.

Message 16 of 17
jortegaZE7UB

It doesn't say that in Forma.
Message 17 of 17
Adrian5D

I hope that this road import option will be availible on R23.

Either lines or some own topo/ hardscape. The new topo solution in R24 have forced us here to stay at R23.. 😊

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators