Community
Forma Forum
Welcome to the Forma Community. Give feedback, report bugs, and tell us your ideas about Autodesk Forma
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cfd results

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
deepyaman.chakraborty2018
589 Views, 8 Replies

Cfd results

Hey,

I was wondering if you could tell me, what kind of timestep size is Autodesk spacemaker using. Is it using adaptive timestep? Does the software take in building material details while generating microclimate-based results, because I could not find any input option for setting building material? Thank you.

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hey, 

Thank you for reaching out! I will start answering the second part of your question first:

Does the software take in building material details while generating microclimate-based results, because I could not find any input option for setting building material? Thank you.
As for the first part of your question: 

I was wondering if you could tell me, what kind of timestep size is Autodesk spacemaker using. Is it using adaptive timestep?

Are you referring to the microclimate analysis in this question? Or maybe wind? If it is related to the microclimate analysis: The time step is an hour (as we currently do not take building or ground heating into account). 

Let me know if I understood your questions correctly!

Best regards, 
Marthe

Message 3 of 9

Many thanks for your quick reply!!

"Are you referring to the microclimate analysis in this question? Or maybe wind? If it is related to the microclimate analysis: The time step is an hour (as we currently do not take building or ground heating into account). "

Yes. I was referring to the microclimatic analysis. 

"We do not currently consider ground or building materials in calculating UTCI, but it is something we are very interested in incorporating in the analysis in the future. If you are willing to have a chat with us about the topic. we would be very interested!"

I would be more than happy to have a chat regarding this. If I am correct UTCI also takes in clothing index as a parameter, are you guys considering that also?

It would be great if you could add the building material of different thermal masses, as it will improve the human comfort indices in terms of precision.

Thank you 

Message 4 of 9

I would be more than happy to have a chat regarding this. If I am correct UTCI also takes in clothing index as a parameter, are you guys considering that also?

Hi again!

We are using a default value for the clothing model.

It would be great if you could add the building material of different thermal masses, as it will improve the human comfort indices in terms of precision.

Thanks  for the feedback! Bringing it back to the team! I will also let my colleague Ellis know that you would possibly have a chat with him - thank you! 

And please let us know if there is something that was not answered properly! 

Marthe

Message 5 of 9

"Thanks  for the feedback! Bringing it back to the team! I will also let my colleague Ellis know that you would possibly have a chat with him - thank you! "

Sure. I'll be more than happy.

Some last  questions:

1. Does the software recognize water bodies and use that while calculating human comfort and temperature?

2. Does the software solve momentum equations in the vertical direction?  if it does what is the vertical resolution of   the grid?

3. Is it possible to make the clothing parameter value available on the GUI interface so that we can change it? 

The software has provided a great experience, and saved a lot of time. Congrats to the team.

Thank you. 

Message 6 of 9

Hi again!

1. Does the software recognize water bodies and use that while calculating human comfort and temperature?

Right now, we do not take surface-types into account when calculating the microclimate analysis, instead assuming that they are the same temperature as the air. That said, we recognize that this is an important part of simulating the urban heat island effect and are very interested in including it in the future.

2. Does the software solve momentum equations in the vertical direction?  if it does what is the vertical resolution of   the grid?

Assuming you are referring to our wind analysis here? I will check with my colleagues on this:) 

3. Is it possible to make the clothing parameter value available on the GUI interface so that we can change it? 

The software has provided a great experience, and saved a lot of time. Congrats to the team.

I have shared your nice feedback with the team - thank you!! 🤗 I´ll update the answer when I get the last piece answered! 

Have a great monday!

Message 7 of 9

Hi @deepyaman.chakraborty2018 , thanks for getting in touch! 

I am a machine learning engineer with Spacemaker -  working on our wind analysis, I will try to answer the second question: 

Yes, the wind analysis is based on fully three-dimensional CFD simulations. We use adaptive meshing with higher accuracy (1 meter) near ground result regions and proposal buildings , and gradually lower resolution as you move away from the site. Please have a look at this article in our help centre for further info. 

Thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it a lot! 

Knut

Message 8 of 9

Thanks for your reply!!

"Yes, the wind analysis is based on fully three-dimensional CFD simulations. We use adaptive meshing with higher accuracy (1 meter) near ground result regions and proposal buildings , and gradually lower resolution as you move away from the site. Please have a look at this article in our help centre for further info. "

I am using the osm buildings that are getting automatically imported from openstreet maps. Do these buildings affect the wind flow and comfort or only the proposal buildings does?

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 9

I am using the osm buildings that are getting automatically imported from openstreet maps. Do these buildings affect the wind flow and comfort or only the proposal buildings does?

Yes, the surrounding buildings also affect the wind analysis. If you have surrounding buildings included far away from the site, these may be ignored, but if so they will be shown as transparent when viewing the results and there will be an explanatory tooltip when hovering them. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Technology Administrators