Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU rendering speed - Q6000 vs K6000 vs M6000

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
hm4
Enthusiast
1654 Views, 10 Replies

GPU rendering speed - Q6000 vs K6000 vs M6000

Hi,

Does Flame rely on CUDA for GPU rendering/processing?

How significant is the speed difference between a HP Z800 with Quadro6000 and HP Z820 with K6000 and HP Z840 with M6000?

Obviously there is a difference, but is in ex. HP Z820/K6000 twice as fast as HP Z800/Q6000?

I'm aware there's no benchmarks or guarantees, but some experience, guidelines, opinions, tips etc. are most welcome 🙂

Many thanks!

Henrik

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
joelosis
in reply to: hm4

There is a google doc on logik somewhere that has benchmarks of not just GPUs but also CPUs,
That said the latest architecture for GPU can make a massive difference. My Titan Pascal GPUs although unsupported outperform older gen Quadros, i have no doubt that a p5000 or p6000 would outperform my Titans
Remember the more vram the merrier and u should be fine
Message 3 of 11
hm4
Enthusiast
in reply to: joelosis

Hi Joel,

Thanks for the hint.

Unfortunately i didn\t seem to have luck in finding these benchmarks.

Have you experienced any issues with the Titan cards?

Or does everything perform as expected incl. background reactor?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Henrik

Message 4 of 11
joelosis

Everything works as expected including background reactor, if i were to get a card today i would go the 1080ti, best bang for buck in my opinion and a decent amount of vram.
Again if u go GeForce over quadro route remember its officially unsupported
Message 5 of 11
Peter_Tresize
Message 6 of 11
hm4
Enthusiast
in reply to: Peter_Tresize

Hi,

Thanks for the benchmarks.

It obviously seems like you need lots of CPU power, memory, fast storage and top GPU to get the the best performance. I actually would have thought it was primarily tied to GPU, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Then again, i don't know what the test contains.

Is there a place where the test/projetc can be downloaded?

Cheers,

Henrik

Message 7 of 11
joelosis

Alot is tied to GPU, my test on only a ssd before i did storage setup was only 3 seconds slower so there's that, also more CPU doesn't mean anything with flame, its a balance of clock speed and cores, if anything that sheet show u dont need a high core count over priced xeon to have a fast flame.
The benchmark lives on logik i believe
Message 8 of 11
joelosis

To prove the point if u r on Linux and open a shell and type 'watch nvidia-smi' then open flame and render a heavy setup u will see your vram get eaten up and usage on the gpu, however if u run top or htop u will see that all those CPU cores rnt being utilized to their max potential.
Message 9 of 11
hm4
Enthusiast
in reply to: joelosis

Hi Joel,

Thanks for all your input!

I will for sure test out your suggestion.

Thank you 🙂

Cheers,

Henrik

Message 10 of 11
Peter_Tresize

Hi Henrik,

The link from Logik: (or I can pm you the file)

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Speed_Check_March_2015.zip?token=AWxOC1XovWIrO0HIPjB6tWII3H4WEbfGXT...

Peter

Message 11 of 11
joelosis
in reply to: Peter_Tresize

thanks Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report