Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For a better machine performance, what the best upgrade choice?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
710 Views, 2 Replies

For a better machine performance, what the best upgrade choice?

Hello everyone!

I would like to do a performance upgrade in my Old Mac Pro (tower), 2013/2014 to run easy Smoke 2018 and Flame 2018

What can i do spending little money?

1) Buy a more memory Ram?

2) Buy a better Video Board (Nvidia or AMD)?

3) Buy new power processor?

4) Buy a new Mac?

5) Buy a new PC running Linux?

Thanks folks!

Helder Flame

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
joelosis
in reply to: Anonymous

Personally i would not get a new mac, but a fairly quick boost in performance can come from a new GPU with as much vram as u can get, maybe wait until the nvidia pascal mac drivers come out and get a 1070 or 1080ti.
It all depends what u want to get yourself into really.
Personally im liking Linux compared to mac from a speed comparison, but Linux is alot easier to screw something up if u don't know what you're doing.
Message 3 of 3
yann.laforest
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Helder,

My response is maybe not going to help but the key here is to look for a well-balanced system as Flame relies on Graphic Board, RAM and processors.

For instance, you should look toward a system equipped with a good Graphic Board, good processors and with a decent amount of RAM rather than building a system with a top of the line Graphic Board, slow processors and a low amount of RAM.

Please refer to the Flame hardware requirements page to know what we do recommend in regard to hardware components for Flame.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/flame-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles...

Regarding the Operating System question, Linux is the OS to prioritize for performances as there are less limitations in regard to the hardware components supported (mainly Graphic Boards).

However, systems running Linux are less versatile as you are more limited for applications you can install on them.

As Joel stated, it all depends of your needs and what you want to get yourself into.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report