Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom flame linux build part 3 (post mortem)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
joelosis
830 Views, 6 Replies

custom flame linux build part 3 (post mortem)

a look at what worked and what didnt with my new flame linux build

http://www.joelosis.com/2017/02/custom-flame-build-part-3.html

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
arichards
in reply to: joelosis

Fantastic trilogy of rolling your own Linux box with Flame unleashed Joel. I wish I'd have had this a month or two back when I was wondering whether to go down the official specs route or the self-build with Geforce cards. One deciding factor was indeed the Action outputs issue which doesn't seem to be a problem on yours. So,  I went down the Z840+Quadro K6000 route. One thing I myself can't seem to get working is the dual boot into windows. With the standard Centos7.2 I could briefly have a dual menu but then when installing the DKU that option disappeared from the startup. Do you have yours on dual boot? Mine automatically boots into Windows unless I go into the bios menu on startup. As I boot 9/10 into CentOS I find myself continually having to press esc.

Really nice series as always. 

Cheers

Tony

HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 3 of 7
joelosis
in reply to: arichards

cheers Tony, to be honest i was a little worried about going the Titans to begin with especially since they r the new pascal ones but yeah i think i got lucky, i wouldnt regret your decision for the quadros too much though since if u do run into issues support is more likely to help u out than they would be with my frankenstein system :).

As for dual boot , yes i am running windows 10 and centos 7.2 on separate drives, my methods were i installed windows first with only that drive plugged in, then when it came time to install centos i unplugged the windows drive and only had my centos drive plugged into the motherboard, in my asus motherboard uefi/bios i set my boot priority to my centos drive and whenever i want to boot into windows i just press f8 a bunch of times to make the bios let me choose which drive i want to boot from, it may be different on a hp motherboard but im sure something similar exists. 

I actually nearly screwed up my centos install when i tried to configure windows 10 to show up in the grub bootloader menu, anyways long story short for me just pressing f8 on the random occasion i want to run windows isnt the end of the world for me .

Joel

Message 4 of 7
arichards

Hi Joel,

Yeah, I guess it's better to be legal than Frankenstein's Flame monster and have the support townsfolk avoid you! You do though get two Titans to be able to run background rendering. I cannot afford two K6000's so am stuck with waiting for the render bar to finish. Rendering in the background on the second Titan looks really seamless on your system.

That's pretty much how I installed my dual systems (separate hard drives and first Windows and then CentOS). In terms of the booting, it's the opposite with me. If I don't press anything it starts automatically into Windows. I might try digging into the Bios to look for a hard disk priority option on the HP Z840.

Cheers

Tony 

HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 5 of 7
CarlosCamposJr

Thanks for sharing, Joel. Fantastic!

Have you tried any card for broadcast SDI monitoring? Maybe Blackmagic's MiniMonitor works ...

Message 6 of 7
joelosis

For my setup i have the dual titans and now a thunderbolt 3 card so im out of pci lanes. I just use my hdmi out to a monitor and enable dvi/hdmi in broadcast monitoring preferences.
Im pretty sure blackmagic support is non existent on the Linux side as well
Message 7 of 7
Peter_Tresize

Hi Joel,

Thanks for all your interesting and helpful posts.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report