Flame Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Flame Family (Flame, Flare, Flame Assist, Lustre) Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Flame topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any plans for smoke on PC?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
lendoublet
6405 Views, 22 Replies

Are there any plans for smoke on PC?

One thing that has never been clear to me is whether there is a PC version of smoke available. Seeing as though I can find nothing in my searches I have to conclude that this is so.

If it does exsist can anyone point me to some information. Or if not, are there any plans to bring it to the PC platform.

Len.
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: lendoublet

Has been on PC for quite some time I believe - since it was moved from SGI boxes. If, however, your talking about Windows - then no, never.
Message 3 of 23
morazz

I would love to see Smoke 2013 on windows or whenever, but there are people like me who are not going to invest in a dual environment. We are windows and some linux, but that is for special reasons and nothing to do with creative work. Anyway, there are many reasons I am sure that can be given, but there is a segment of the market that would love this to happen.

cheers
Mark Rasmussen
VFX - Supervisor | Compositor
Enigma|FX

TOXIK/Composite BLOG
http://enigmafx.ca/efxblog
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

Smoke on Windows is very unlikely. I would much rather see Smoke available as a software only version for Linux. This is much easier for Autodesk to do, but I don't think it is in their current plans.
Message 5 of 23
morazz
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah, I know all about ADSK going the easy way 🙂 I just wanted put it out there, that there are people who are interested to see it on windows. I know for a fact that this will work on windows if they invest in it, but as you said and rightly so, it does not fit into their current plans. However, if there was enough of a market, they might consider it.
cheers
Mark Rasmussen
VFX - Supervisor | Compositor
Enigma|FX

TOXIK/Composite BLOG
http://enigmafx.ca/efxblog
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous

if we forget the discussion about the different religions for a second and have a look at
smoke at the moment then osx makes the most sense to me.

1st reason - osx runs on almost every box out there - check http://tonymacx86.com/
2nd osx smoke is very easy to install (way easier than the linux boxes with that adesk special
version of a red hat version from stoneage)
3rd it runs well.

smoke is such a complex and powerfull product, that normaly you start it in the morning and
shut it down in the evening without using enything else during the whole day. so when the software runs reliable you dont need to care about the os, coz you never see it.
neither on osx nor on linux.

so spend this 60quid for a copy of snow leopard and install smac on whatever box you have.
done.
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

1st reason - osx runs on almost every box out there - check http://tonymacx86.com/

Sorry, but thats a joke, isn t it? If you have hardware thats not on the list, installing a Hackintosh is a pain in the a.... . Its far easier to install a Linux (even with AD DKU).

2nd osx smoke is very easy to install (way easier than the linux boxes with that adesk special
version of a red hat version from stoneage)

> ./INSTALL_SMOKE ...its not that complicating, isn t it?!

3rd it runs well.

And on Linux it runs..... well, too?! Only a little faster.

smoke is such a complex and powerfull product, that normaly you start it in the morning and
shut it down in the evening without using enything else during the whole day. so when the software runs reliable you dont need to care about the os, coz you never see it.
neither on osx nor on linux.

True, but same statement would work if it runs on Windows... I would even go for a Dual-Boot-Windows-Linux system.

so spend this 60quid for a copy of snow leopard and install smac on whatever box you have.
done.

Ad the invest for the "compatible hardware" and the pills you need to stay calm during the installation attempts ;o)
Message 8 of 23
andy__dill

I'd like to see it come over to windows.

While I've got no love for Microsoft's OS efforts, I don't have much faith in Apple keeping up with the hardware jonses, so to speak, and Linux involves too many half-working drivers (e.g. the wacom driver and it's inability to shut off the touch strips/wheels) and bitsy things.
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Like most,i doubt autodesk will bring smoke to pc because it is a lot of work to do but it honestly would be worth it,I for one am not buying a mac jsut for smoke,I simply cannot stand their unpgradeability and while windows is far from perfect,I can do what I want with it and many other people enjoy that about windows as well and I myself would wager this but I would honestly be fine with a version for linux because linux supports better hardware as well. But to answer your question,autodesk hasn't made any statements supporting it,they have made a few saying why they think they shouldn't and I think they've got enough revenue they can pick and choose who to appeal to and while some may think what they're doing is rudiculous(including myself) all we can do is wait and hope.

Message 10 of 23
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:
1st reason - osx runs on almost every box out there
As has been requested, by Autodesk staff, a number of times in these forums:- please do not discuss the "hackintosh" here - such discussions are not permitted.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 11 of 23
majush
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I dont mind AD selling smoke license for linux and we get to setup our own linux boxes. Its far more easier nd dependable than windows. Adobe can think about porting their products to linux as well. If Apple keep doing the good work, Macpro will soon be history.

On Smoke 2016
Message 12 of 23
gerador20

I guess I'll be building a hackingtosh 😆 .... to be honest it's autodesk lost not that many out there care about Mac anymore specially their lack of upgrades .....even in the Cgi area pc can beat a mac and run circles around it
Message 13 of 23
yann.laforest
in reply to: gerador20

Hi,

Does your intervention specifically refer to Personal Computers or to the Windows support for the Flame Family and Smoke products?

As mentioned in this discussion already, the Flame Family and Smoke products runs on PCs (CentOS 7.2).

Please let us know,

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 14 of 23
gerador20
in reply to: yann.laforest

from my understanding smoke doesnt run on windows. 

Message 15 of 23
yann.laforest

Hi,

This is correct.

The Flame Family and Smoke products do not run on Windows,  The Flame Family products are supported on CentOS 7.2 and MacOS and Smoke on MacOS only. 

From a semantic stand point, it would make perfect sense to call a Mac a PC as it is a personal computer.

However, people tend to use the PC terminology to differentiate Apple and Non Apple products.

Based on this, Smoke indeed does not run on PCs.  However, this is not the case for the Flame Family products which are supported on Linux CentOS.

About the MacOS hybrid configurations (hackintosh), this is not something we do support officially and never will.

Hope it clarifies this topic,

Regards,

Yann

Yann Laforest

Program Manager Data Analytics - Autodesk EMS
10 rue Duke Street
Montréal (Québec) Canada H3C 2L7
Message 16 of 23
gerador20
in reply to: yann.laforest

well i mean is autodesk lost im just saying there are more windows fans then mac 🙂 but its not my wallet 

Message 17 of 23
arichards

I really, really, don't get your beef. I am running Flame on a "PC" and can simply dual boot between Windows 10 and CentOS. EasyPC. If you want to run Flame then you boot into CentOS and if you want to run Premiere, Photoshop, AfterEffects or whatever, then you boot into Windows. Yes it would be great to not have to reboot to run these packages (as when you run Flame on a Mac) but that's not the end of the world. So, since Autodesk have "unleashed" Flame the running Flame on Windows argument is substantially reduced. If you've got the PC spec to run Flame then you can install CentOS. 

Cheers

Tony

HP Z840, 80GB Ram, Quadro M6000x24GB
Message 18 of 23
gerador20
in reply to: arichards

never said anything about having a beef just was saying they should think about making a win version 🙂 but its fine. and how stable is CentOS ?

Message 19 of 23
arichards

It might be a bit more austere than OSX and you have to add aspects to the OS (such as codecs) to get it to play along but the OS itself, as an infrastructure for Flame to run on is rock solid. I've had crashes with Flame, as OSX, but not yet had anything go awry with CentOS. Once you loaded into the OS and you kickstart Flame then it is just as it would be on any other OS it might run on. So, why not try installing the custom CentOS 7.2 distribution and the DKU on your machine and then install the Flame training edition on top of it to see how it plays? 

Cheers

Tony

Message 20 of 23
arichards

I think the above advice changes with the upcoming 2018 release with changes to licencing and the , what looks like, a lack of single user support on CentOS. The mac and the "pc" version become more differing beasts, if not "quite" on a de facto levelthen certainly de jure.

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report