Community
FeatureCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FeatureCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FeatureCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncut surfaces - milling to boundary.

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
924 Views, 12 Replies

Uncut surfaces - milling to boundary.

Hello everyone.

I have problem with uncut surface by using cutters with radius.

Namely. I choose surface (here radius) to milling and it comes (cutter) to surface boundary and stops. It leaves uncut place which has radius of cutter. If cutter had no radius on the corner it would be correct, with no uncut place.

I'm looking for answer how exceed boundary with cutter (with radial corner).

I've tried parline and add bottom milling (add new strategy) and the same.

You can see on the second side is correct (bigger radius)...

Thanks for help.

I put some pics.problem2.jpgproblem.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
abhishek.juvekar
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to Autodesk Community!

Is the ball end or bull end radius of cutter is same as radius on surface? This may be the reason the tool is not cutting on that particular region and leaving material. Have you tried surface milling feature? There are many options in 'Edges' tab to specify how the tool behaves at the edges of the surface.

But to be honest, I will be more clear if I can get a chance to see the toolpath in fm file. Is it possible for you to upload a fm file?

Thank You.

Abhishek
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: abhishek.juvekar

Radius is 15 and cutter is 20 R10.

Why not. I put it in attachment.

I think that cam (shape) is reason. FeatureCAM detected a collision, because i can read :Your tool diameter 20 is too big. Use  max. diameter 0,00004.

But I will be really grateful for your help with .fm file!

Message 4 of 13
abhishek.juvekar

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for supplying fm file.

I have created a surface milling Z level feature with Interleave spiral paths and restricted it with a circular boundary in stock tab/ select curve for boundaries. I have also verified the simulation results with part compare and found no step. Can you please take a look in the attached fm file and let me know your thoughts?

Thank You.

Abhishek
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

I can't open it correctly, because I have latest version of 2016 with maintenance and I can't see your operation, only mine. I know where is this option, but my knowledge this moment is too low to use it correctly. Can you show me in other way in few steps? Thanks.

Edit:

I'vew tried use your curve and select curve for boundaries, surface feature with Z level, pocket 3D (kieszeń 3D), boundary curves - circ1, islands curves - nothing (maybe here is problem?), method of restriction: point of contact and nothing changed ;/ Still using 3D model boundary.

Message 6 of 13
abhishek.juvekar

Hi @Anonymous,

Strange, you cannot open the fm file. No problem. I have saved it in FeatureCAM 2016 now. Please find it attached herewith and let me know your thoughts.

Thank you.

Abhishek
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Still something wrong or I've done import incorrectly. No operations in tree. I dont know what happened.

Message 8 of 13
abhishek.juvekar

I am not sure why the operations are not displayed.  I will create a video and send it back to you.

Abhishek
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

I will be grateful. We are milling it for few hours so it will be really helpful! 😉

Message 10 of 13
abhishek.juvekar

Here is a video: http://autode.sk/2kZybK8

Abhishek
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

It's great helpful movie, but there is no interleave spiral paths in strategy (in my version)

It must be reason of no operations in program tree.

options.jpg. It must be new part of 2017 version.

Message 12 of 13
abhishek.juvekar

Ahh! Ok. If there is no option 'interleave spiral paths' then you can add another process in existing Z level finishing, that is 3d spiral and use the same boundary. Refer the attached fm file. Hope that will work.

Abhishek
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

I dont know why spiral 3D is not active in my program. 

spiral3D.jpgresult.jpg

But I've tried with spiral 2D and it works!  I put it instead Z level strategy

Result up(I have set 0,02 mm tolerance to show blue material, so it's doesn't look good, but it's great result).

I think its answer to my question and for more in the future to the similar things. 

Thank You!

P.S. I could see operations again in your fm file ; (

Spiral 2D and milling inside. And select boundary.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report