Community
FeatureCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FeatureCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FeatureCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailor made Tools: Importing and Changing the size of Insert and Radius

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
siddeshi.siddabasappa
376 Views, 2 Replies

Tailor made Tools: Importing and Changing the size of Insert and Radius

Hi all,

I am using FeatureCAM Premium 2017, here I have imported 3D models of some special cutters in my tool crib. But I need to modify the insert radius and size, (just like we edit our inbuilt tool's radius and inserts) especially for grooving tools. I have imported tailor made tool's 3D model in Holder Drwaing option, but in Inserts we can not import any 3D models, is there any option to import and change the size of Insert and Radius.

Hope to get good feedback soon.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi @siddeshi.siddabasappa,

We can only import tool holders using solid models not actual cutting tools.  What you can do for your custom tooling is create a curve and use that curve for the tool, then change the tip radius in the tool form.  Hopefully this clears up any confusion.

Thanks,

Craig Burney

Applications Engineer
Message 3 of 3

It might also be worth mentioning, the curve needs to be created in the XZ plane and should only be half of the tool. Similar to creating a revolved surface. As for changing individual features such as an insert radius, I just end up creating a new tool/curve for each different configuration.

It would be neat to be able to use a solid model as a tool, though I imagine that takes quite a bit more computing power.

Many tooling suppliers offer 2D CAD data of their tools which can help with tool creation via curve.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report