Community
FeatureCAM Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FeatureCAM Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FeatureCAM topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 Featurecam crashing often

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
shawn
874 Views, 8 Replies

2018 Featurecam crashing often

Is anyone else having trouble with Featurecam 2018 crashing often?  It seems upon opening a file most often.  I had one file open, and opened a second file via File:Open and it hung for a while and then I got the window that said exception error.  I would say I get 3-4 crashes a day.  In 2017, I would have maybe once every week at most.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ADVAERO
in reply to: shawn

Yes i have been having frequent crashes,i have to save every minute or so so i dont loose any work.There seems to be a common occurance around the crashes they always seem to occur when a featurecam dialog box is open.last time it crashed i looked in task manager and it showed numerous (5-6) instances of something called app chrome (or something to that effect) the was not responding,these all disappeared once featurecam was forcably closed.

now we dont have google chrome web browser (i checked in installed programs) so i can only assume this is part of featurecam.I dont know if this is the cause of featurecam stalling or if it is only a symptom.

**** annoying anyway ,wish there was an Autosave option that i could set.

i should point out featurecam has had a regular crash issue for years now (been using it since 2010),several times a week back when it was a delcam product,but this is way worse and a lot more frequent than ever before.

if the problem is cause its using chrome engine to drive dialog boxs etc then dump chrome its a pile of crap.no one in there right mind uses Chrome.

Message 3 of 9
ADVAERO
in reply to: ADVAERO

So i just looked up in task manager the program that appears to hang is acewebbrowser.exe located in this directory :C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\CLM\V3\MSVC11\cliccore\acwebbrowser.exe.

windows task manager lists it as Chromium host executable.

The odd thing is after closing and starting featurecam fresh there pop up  3 instances of acwebbrowser.exe running in the task manager all with different memory usage,they all disappear when featurecam is closed.not sure if this is the problem or merely a symptom of frequent featurecam crashes.

Message 4 of 9
jody.fulton
in reply to: ADVAERO

I was scanning for some info on Featurecam crashes and I came across your post. It has been a while so you may have this already. There is an add in that allows you to autosave. Just go into Manage-Library and load autosave.bas. You can set it to save based on how many features you create or on a time limit. Hope this helps.

Jody

Message 5 of 9
h.goebel

Crashes have sometimes less or not at all. I have been accustomed to saving for several years at regular intervals or after completion of correct operations. Conclusions logically sound. Sincerely, Mathias Beyer

Abstürze habe mal mehr mal weniger bis garnicht. Ich habe mir seit einigen Jahren angewöhnt in regelmäßigen Abständen bzw nach Abschluss von korrekten Operationen zu speichern. Schlussfolgerungen dafür leuchten logischerweise ein. Mit freundlichen Grüßen Mathias Beyer
Message 6 of 9
h.goebel

What else did I notice? Crashes occur most often when I try new things or make many changes or variants of parameter settings teste. Sincerely, Mathias Beyer

Was mir weiterhin aufgefallen ist? Abstürze treten am häufigsten auf, wenn ich Neues ausprobiere bzw viele Änderungen durchführe bzw Varianten von Parameter Einstellungen teste. Mit freundlichen Grüßen Mathias Beyer
Message 7 of 9
rfuentes

sometimes i leave featurecam on the back ground for the longest time and as soon as i switch to the featurecam window it crashes.

Message 8 of 9
bhorstTGM48
in reply to: rfuentes

I still am on 2017 R1 SP5 and it never crashes Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 9
kevin
in reply to: jody.fulton

I've found a problem with that to that didn't used to be there. when it auto saves it creates a lockfile which prevents it from creating a new folder for your CNC files. It will also create a file with the file name of the part you are working on with a .file extension which also stops yo from saving where you may want to. you must go in through my computer and delete these files to save or create a new file with the part file name.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report