Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
RGhost77
1139 Views, 17 Replies

Suggestions

First of all I realy like this tool. I'm searched long time such tool which allowed me to view different mocap files. Thank you for sharing this great tool!

I have few suggestion for new versions of this tool:

1. "Mesh" mode for mocap skeletons. In ver 1.0 of FBX Review mocap skeleton bones diplayed as lines, will be great if bones can be shown as mesh objects.

2. Snapshot viewport to image file (.png/.jpg)

3. Animated snapshot viewport to (.avi).

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
WesleyAdams
in reply to: RGhost77

Hi RGhost77,

I'm super stoked that you like the app! This post made me realize I don't think we had set up a more direct, trackable feedback system like we have for other products, so I'll check into that.

Your suggestions are great. In the Windows 8 version you can take snapshots and send them to your email client automatically through the Windows charm bar (swipe in from the right bezel). 

Keep sending feedback, our small team is very appreciative of it. I'll make a post if we set up something along the lines of UserVoice.

Cheers,

wes

Message 3 of 18
michaelwbell

This is a really cool Idea and i'm excited to start using this in my workflow. I hope it continues to get further developed (I posted another thread on hear about .bip support). If there will be a feedback/beta program, please consider signing me up!

Cheers!

Michael Wentworth-Bell
3D Artist - Reel Pictures P/L
Melbourne Australia
My website: http://thelode.com.au
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous

1. I would like to turn on anti-aliasing.

2. I would like a built in ground plane/infinity wall.

3. Easy way to map to textures.

4. I use FBX to export to UDK, I would like to see the hidden meshes that I am exporting for morph targets. (Need ability to turn on and off)

5. Morph targets need to work when playing animation as well. (In UDK you can set this up fairly easy)

6. Wireframe needs to be quad view if possible. (With line smoothing)

7. Wire line size control would be nice as well.

8. Preset turntable camera.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Also a true full screen mode where there is no title bar for the window and not windows tool bar at the bottom.
Message 6 of 18
RobertGoulet

You can get real fullscreen by pressing the default Microsoft Windows shortcut for activating fullscreen, Alt+Enter. However, the file open dialog won't work in fullscreen, unless you use the Windows 8 (Store) version.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
in reply to: RobertGoulet

Wow what a nice just do something simple application.

I'm part of a fair size indie group who use off the shelf software solution and considering using FBX as our native development format and being able to pre-vis work in progress with such a simple tool that everyone on the team can use, more so since the viewer can use takes, is just the thing we need to fill the gap between applications we use.

As the animator though there is one feature that I would like to add that would make the viewer just the thing I've been looking for.

By far the most time consuming part of my job is to make changes in MB and then having to export to 3ds Max so I can then export to the targeted asset package.

What would make life easier for me is if such a viewer as this could allow me to bind keyboard and mouse controls and blend between takes in place to examine overall animation balance.
Message 8 of 18
RobertGoulet

Right now the focus of this tool is really for viewing assets. Any kind of editing, such as the takes blending you are mentioning is not in our scope for the short term.

However, if you have more feedback about the current purpose of reviewing assets please let us know. Thanks!
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

It would be very helpful to see the name of the imported FBX displayed somewhere, possible the application window title line. Otherwise, it's difficult to know the name to make notes on during a review.

Thanks,

John

Message 10 of 18
RobertGoulet

Good suggestion John. I just added that so now the "scene statistics" heads-up display now includes the scene (file) name.

Message 11 of 18
RobertGoulet

I'm going to improve how bones look in the future, but I wonder what additional information you would get if they were 3D meshes instead of lines?

If you use the Windows 8 app version, you can do easy screenshot via the Charm bar 'Share' button. Otherwise, you can simply use Alt+PrintScreen to take a screenshot of the app and paste it anywhere you like.

I don't think we'll ever add rendering to .avi because the goal of this tool is really to allow people to see their content in 3D rather than a rendered video.

Message 12 of 18
RobertGoulet
in reply to: michaelwbell

You can sign up to the FBX beta program and get FBX Review betas. 🙂 beta.auodesk.com self-register
Message 13 of 18
michaelwbell

Thanks! Signing up now!

Michael Wentworth-Bell
3D Artist - Reel Pictures P/L
Melbourne Australia
My website: http://thelode.com.au
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

Nice viewer, but lacks a scrolling for the Take menu, I have some files with many takes, that I can not see, even if I set the interface to 50% at a resolution of 1920x1080.

Sorry if my english is not good

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

Great product so far, really helpful for Maya->Unity work without having to open either package for reviews 😃

Being able to queue up multiple FBX animations to review == huge time saver. Maybe some list view to select an FBX from some rooted directory?

Being able to set in-out points.

We review a lot of Mixamo stuff, and sometimes their format pads the animations from the tail 1000+ frames. Yeah I dont know either, but the point is, Quicktime Pro lets you set in/out loop points, would be nice.

Being able to move the camera from the keyboard would also be nice. WASD? maybe to orbit around the focal point might be good enough to start. It is nice to be able to move the camera AND go frame by frame. Currently you can't even do this with the mouse and keyboard, they seem exclusive to each other.

I am also having a texture problem. The textures are embeded, and look fine in QT, and Maya, but in here it builds a folder alongside my .fbx with an .fbm extension and exports all the textures into that. Neato, but weird, and not what I would expect (dumping my textures to a folder). 

The textures are all PNG (dif, spec, norm).

And yes, I am already in the beta for a few AD products, I will go ahead and add this one from the sub area.

Cheers.

Message 16 of 18
RobertGoulet

Good point, I'll take note of that. Thank you!

Message 17 of 18
RobertGoulet

1. Queue up multiple files for review: As a work-around for now you can open a file browsing explorer window and drag&drop the files directly into FBX Review. That will surely be quicker than using the Open button.

2. Adding the ability to set in/out points in the timeline can be done before you export your FBX file in your favorite content creation tool. However, I agree that it would be nice to be able to set the in/out points directly in FBX Review without changing the original file.

3. That seems to be the same thing as point 2 above.

4. I've thought to add a game-like camera movement so that will surely be something I'll try to implement as soon as I have time for it (wasd movements + mouse look around instead of orbit). As for the other point, looks like a bug, I will check if I can make it work with both keyboard and mouse at once, so you can advance frames while orbiting.

5. If you are using the Windows 8 Store version, we have some technical limitations due to the sandbox model of these apps. In other words, if the you open reference any external files, these won't load whatever you do. This is not an issue with the desktop version (Windows 7 build).

Currently, this is the expected behavior that your embedded content is dumped in the .fbm folder, along side your FBX file, but we can certainly improve it so that they get extracted in your system's temporary folder instead. In any case, we need to extract them so that we can import them later.

Right now FBX Review is able to load PNG, TGA, TIF, GIF, BMP, JPEG and DDS texture files. However, our TGA reader is limited to uncompressed files at the moment, that's something we are planning to fix soon. We're also planning to add HDR/EXR support asap.

Thanks for your feedback, and yes please post it on the FBX beta program, that will help us a lot!

Message 18 of 18
RGhost77

@RobertGoulet wrote:

I'm going to improve how bones look in the future, but I wonder what additional information you would get if they were 3D meshes instead of lines?

I think will be good if bones will be represented same as in Motionbuilder. It is important to see axis of bones alignment. Also bones meshes must have parameter to change it size interactively.

mb_bones_view.png

Royal Ghost | veda3d.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report