Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing and Applying Texture Maps

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
verticalslicer
12688 Views, 18 Replies

Importing and Applying Texture Maps

I'm trying out FBX Review for the first time and, while importing my OBJ was straight forward enough, I can't figure out how to import and apply my texture maps. I'm behind a firewall at work and I think it's preventing me from opening the provided help file, so I appoligize if this question is answered there.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

FBX Review only allows you to view 3d files, not edit them. But perhaps there is a bug preventing the textures from being correctly loaded from your OBJ file?

Message 3 of 19

I'm not sure if I am missing something or not, but I just exported out of Maya 2014 Using the DX11 uber shader and choose to export cameras and embed media. (I also have lights with shadows as well.)

When I loaded my scene into the FBX viewer there were no lights with shadows and no textures as well.

Could someone expalin what we are doing wrong? (Is there a newer verson of the FBX plugin that we need to get?)

Thanks, NickZ.

Message 4 of 19
nickzucc
in reply to: nzuccarello

I was able to get my cameras to export along with my lights. The uber shader can not be exported. The FBX plugin gives me an error about this and says it will replace it with a default lambert.

This is the shader definition that I am using in Maya:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2014\presets\HLSL11\examples\AutodeskUberShader.fxo

Is that an issue?

NickZ. 🙂
Message 5 of 19

You need Maya 2014 SP1, which uses the FBX plug-in 2014.1 to have the uber shader settings persisted in FBX.
Message 6 of 19
nickzucc
in reply to: RobertGoulet

Ok, installed Maya 2014 SP1, reexported. Everything is working but textures.

I can tell that the ubershader is working becuase of the tranmission interacting with the lights....but sadly no textures are showing up.

NickZ. 🙂
Message 7 of 19
nickzucc
in reply to: nickzucc

I keep getting this error:

2013-07-30 16:59:38: : [WARNING] Embed Media: - The following texture(s) will not be embedded in your scene, as the plug-in cannot locate them: spotLight1

?????

NickZ. 🙂
Message 8 of 19
nickzucc

Here is what I am seeing in Maya VS. FBX Review. Textures are coming in, but it looks like the transmission part of the shader might be overwritting all the shading, you can see a small sliver of color at the bottom of the model.

NickZ. 🙂
Message 9 of 19

It is possible that
1) the texture cannot be found because it is not in a relative path, or the absolute path couldn't be resolved (embedding textures in FBX file might fix this issue thought).
2) or the texture file format is not supported by FBX Review (but it is in Maya).

FBX Review currently supports BMP, JPEG, PNG, TGA, GIF and TIFF, as well as all DDS file types.
Message 10 of 19
nickzucc

Sorry for the late reply on this but here it goes....

It is possible that

1) the texture cannot be found because it is not in a relative path, or the absolute path couldn't be resolved (embedding textures in FBX file might fix this issue thought).

I have embedded the images during export, the FBX file size is about 200 + megs and it has genereated a media folder for all the images as well.

2) or the texture file format is not supported by FBX Review (but it is in Maya).

I'm using 24 bit targa maps. If you like I could send you the files.

Thanks for the help! 🙂

NickZ. 🙂
Message 11 of 19

If you can reproduce the issue with a much smaller file, I could trace it in debugger and check what is happening. I suggest you join the FBX beta program at beta.autodesk.com and submit your bugs there.
Message 12 of 19
RobertGoulet

Please attach an example file that doesn't work for you. Also, I have to ask which version are you using? Is it the desktop version or the Windows Store version? Right now we are aware that FBX files that does not embed textures cannot open texture files located elsewhere on the machine for the Windows Store version (this does not affect the desktop version) because of Windows Store sandbox limitations (we are working with Microsoft to get the restriction relaxed in the future).

Message 13 of 19
nickzucc

I'm not sure what you are asking about the Microsoft store version. I have Maya 2014 SP1 Educational Version and I am using the FBX exporter that came with Maya.

Here is a direct link to my Maya file poroject along with all textures.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Pesonal/Moray_Eel.zip

I hope this helps track down why this isn't working. I think I could get some value out of this tool but until the texture issue is fixed I am rather limited on the final look.

Thanks for looking into this!

NickZ. 🙂
Message 14 of 19
RobertGoulet

I've found the issue. There is 2 problems:

1. The TGA used in your scene are RLE compressed. The TGA reader in FBX Review right now doesn't support RLE compressed TGA files, but it can load uncompressed TGA files.

2. FBX Review doesn't support HDR image files, so your IBL shading won't work.

Of course, the real fix would be to support these two types of images, but for now as a work-around you could swap these file formats for other types. We will most likely add support for these cases in the future, it is just a matter of time. Also, another thing that we will most likely improve in the near future is the ability for FBX Review to display some warnings about things that couldn't be loaded properly, so at least it will be easier for everyone to diagnose problems.
Message 15 of 19
nickzucc

Well...thanks for finding this out. As an artist, if it is working in Maya, I guess you assume that those same formats will work in other Autodesk tools. 

Any ETA for these file types to be supported?

Thanks again for looking into this!

NickZ. 🙂
Message 16 of 19
RobertGoulet

We have no ETA on this for the moment. Right now I'm focusing on fixing the small annoying things that are reported for the initial release. Then we will decide on a roadmap about which feature goes in next. The development cycle for this app is very fast so I would guess that shouldn't take too much time. But again, it depends of the priority we set on this specific feature related to other features. Sorry about that, and hopefully it makes a near release!
Message 17 of 19

I haven't succeed in importing a zip file containing and OBJ file plus a texture file.

Only the OBJ files shows up in FBX Review, without any texture on it.

Is there something to do? like a specific name or a specific image file format?

Message 18 of 19

Did you make sure the .mtl file was also included in the .zip file along the .obj file, and that the texture path is correct relative to the .mtl file?

Message 19 of 19

That's it, I forgot the MTL file. Thanks a lot! Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report