Community
FBX Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s FBX Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular FBX topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX export Maya slow

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ytsejamdario
4072 Views, 5 Replies

FBX export Maya slow

Hello everyone. I have a strange problem. At work we using a lots of object billboard for trees. Because the Game engine apply normal to simulate scatter light, the pivot must be on the center of object or meighbor on center and folowing the z axis(z-up). My scene have 20000 trees, subdividing with naming convention for our engine that set like this: OURENGINE_GROUP_A_1.......400, OURENGINE_GROUP_b_1........400. This sort of groups composed by 200 or 400 trees. When i'm trying to export in fbx. All export progress run fast, but at a time it began to run slowly, one object every 4-8 seconds. This thing is strange because on the progress bar it run fast even the trees so not all the trees slowly the progress. Someone have this issue?
The fbx exporter for us is binary 2012 with all settings "off", except for the automatic conversion unit. In another scene with 50000 object the export take 5 hours to export all. It's insane. i'm testing maya from 2014 to 2017 version without resolve this issue.
Hope that someone can help me

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
lauris47
in reply to: ytsejamdario

Isn't it because you have 50 000 objects in scene ? 😮

Message 3 of 6
darioOrtisi
in reply to: lauris47

I think is not related. IN fact if i selecte an object and export it, it take 10 minutes +- to export. THe object have 8 vertex. 🙂
Message 4 of 6
darioOrtisi

i continuing to have this problem with 12000 objects, same tipology. The problem even don't related to the number, in fact after the exporting, i'm importing the file on 3dsmax and exporting, taking 20 seconds. So the problem is maya exporter for fbx.

Message 5 of 6
lauris47
in reply to: darioOrtisi

Probably you have some complex network of nodes, connections, inputs our outputs ?

You can see that in the channel box or atribute editor. Earlier versions of Maya also shows node connections inside

Hypershade - press in and out connections, when you have object selected. (Alternative is Node Editor) Once I had issue where fbx would export slower (with additional problems) because I had multiple additional copies of the same mesh somehow duplicated. Those could not be seen in the scene, however when pressing input and output connections I was able to see those and delete.

You can also try deleting FBX preferences, they are stored in documents folder if you are on Windows. I had multiple problems with exporting scenes, animations rigs etc. just because something in fbx preferences was corrupted internally. Deleting them, resets everything fbx related.

And of course. try deleting history of all of your models. 

P.S. I am also working with big scenes, few of them probably have over 10 million faces.

It doesn't matter if it imports fast to 3ds Max - that is after complex process of "squeezing" everything to FBX file requirements. Perhaps same problem would exists if the scene is created initially inside 3ds Max, with same "mistakes" and methods.

Message 6 of 6
Nixellion

@lauris47 wrote:

Probably you have some complex network of nodes, connections, inputs our outputs ?

You can see that in the channel box or atribute editor. Earlier versions of Maya also shows node connections inside

Hypershade - press in and out connections, when you have object selected. (Alternative is Node Editor) Once I had issue where fbx would export slower (with additional problems) because I had multiple additional copies of the same mesh somehow duplicated. Those could not be seen in the scene, however when pressing input and output connections I was able to see those and delete.

You can also try deleting FBX preferences, they are stored in documents folder if you are on Windows. I had multiple problems with exporting scenes, animations rigs etc. just because something in fbx preferences was corrupted internally. Deleting them, resets everything fbx related.

And of course. try deleting history of all of your models. 

P.S. I am also working with big scenes, few of them probably have over 10 million faces.

It doesn't matter if it imports fast to 3ds Max - that is after complex process of "squeezing" everything to FBX file requirements. Perhaps same problem would exists if the scene is created initially inside 3ds Max, with same "mistakes" and methods.

Hello, could you, please, tell which file is responsible for keeping fbx preferences specifically?

I could not find it and usually I just delete the whole prefs folder to fix FBX export\import issues. It would be much much better to only delete fbx specific files, of course 🙂

EDIT

Oh, nevermind, I suppose it's "C:\Users\user\Documents\maya\FBX"?

Not sure if that'll fix all issues, though. I had some issues when FBX would not export animations, and prefs folder was the one I had to delete to fix it, not FBX one. Weird.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report