cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit in FDS

Revit in FDS

I think it would e a good idea to include a version of Revit in FDS. how else would you conbine a Revit 3D model with a system model to enable to creation of contextual sections i.e. sections that include the building and the system. Inventor can import Revit but not the scale of projects that we work with.

18 Comments
XuesongBai
Alumni

hi there,

Thank you for raising up the great idea.

We will consider the interoperability between Revit and Inventor, especially the bi-direction workflow from each other.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to add that it would be good if lightwieght Assets with BIM Exchange Connectors could be passed to Revit MEP, for hook up to pipework and electrical connections.

beierf
Alumni

This is a great idea.

I had a project, where we used the Revit Import to Inventor to see the building and the MEP during the process planning. This allow to see where space is limited or building structure does not allow to place an asset. In this case you can define views in Revit to control the details and an option in the import allow to get a solid in Inventor. 

The only thing is, when you have green field projects, the building is changing often. In this case you need to re-import the Revit model. This works as long as you do not create installation drawings. 

So my hope is, that in Inventor we can use the AnyCAD function to an Revit model. If this will be possible, we can update any changes without re-import the model. 

Regards

Frank 

P.S. please call for "AnyCAD for Revit"  

cheryl_sneddon
Advocate

I think this idea is becoming very essential in all stages of Factory. I have been teaching and using Factory Utilities for a few years now, my customers would very much like to use Revit to build the Architecture of the building after laser scanning or space claiming using AutoCAD. I have been using ACADA but it can be difficult at times. 

I am in contact with designers that want to design the whole Factory layouts including building content and I feel they should be using Revit as this is the best tool for the job. 

I think there should be some crossover between PD&MC and AE&CC.

Fingers crossed Autodesk see see the same potential as we do.

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi @beierf,

In Factory help 2019 we have covered some suggested workflows for Anycad function.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/FDU/2019/ENU/?guid=FDU_Inventor_Factory_Help_To_Work_with_AnyCAD_for_...

Would you please give some comments on the workflow and see if it helps?

Thank you,

Mickey

beierf
Alumni

Hi MickeyLi - 

this article is related to define Factory Assets using Inventor´s AnyCAD feature to use an associative NX file (can be all supported formats) as an asset. It has nothing to do with the AnyCAD for Revit possibility (who not exist today), to get an Revit model associative into Inventor. Overall, AnyCAD allow to switch from import an external CAD file to link the file associative to Inventor. So when the original file is changed the link to Inventor will update the file. 

Regards
Frank  

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi Frank, Aha, I see the limitation here. Thank you.

wezpb
Advocate

We have now fully switched from FDS to using Revit. We get everything we were trying to do with FDS and more. 😉

cheryl_sneddon
Advocate

wezpb, now I am interested!

So how do you build the detail of the factory components? e.g. conveyors, machines, safety equipment etc

Or are you only interested in the section tools?

wezpb
Advocate

We remodelled them as Families in Revit.

wezpb
Advocate

Cheryl,

Are you still on the same email address as a couple of years ago? I'll send you a snap shot

cheryl_sneddon
Advocate

Yeah, that would be great thanks  🙂

beierf
Alumni

Here is an article for FDU / Revit / Infrastructure 360 

To the fact, that building and production process are different departments we like to use Inventor for the process and Revit for the building (Building integrated factory layout). 

See this link https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/article/217086 

Regards

Frank 

cheryl_sneddon
Advocate

Thanks Frank 🙂

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi @wezpb ,

How are things going? Would you please share some experience and stories switching to Revit? And Is there any feature that you would like to have if we brought FDS and Revit together? Thank you.

Mickey

wezpb
Advocate

Hi, @liqinomickey 

I'll be quite honest i do not think we'd use any of the FDS features now that we've switched across to Revit (I've not used it since version 2017 so not taking into account any new features here). Don't get me wrong the modelling capabilities of Inventor are far superior/easier to that within Revit when is comes to modelling the "Assets" / Families, but then we do not actually need to same level of detail so hasn't really caused any issues.

Wes

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Thank you @wezpb,

If you are interested, I could have a zoom meeting with you. First I would like to know your basic workflow here and learn from you. And I can have an introduction of recent Inventor and FDU new features to you. We are considering implementing this idea. So I would like to learn from the best. Thank you.

Mickey

cheryl_sneddon
Advocate

Hi Mickey,

I have some existing customer and possible new customer that would love to use FD but find limitations with it. Would it be possible to share some of their experiences and my own with you and also you can tell me if there are any tools that can help?

Factory Design is my main focus at the moment and I am trying to get customers so see the benefits in using it but I have came up against some limitations with it. 

Wes will know the limitations, as his team have been there and tried to work with them. 

I hope we can share as much information as possible to try and get users confident with using FD.

Thanks,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report