cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Match Properties in FDS for Assets

Match Properties in FDS for Assets

I really miss something like the "Match Properties" function from AutoCAD. Imagine having two assets in your layout with a lot of key parameters and you want that they are both equal. If its single standing you can copy paste the one you need and delete the old one. But in a chain of assets like conveyors or a big machine it can be very stressful to change all the parameters by hand or replace the old one with a copy of the one you need.

17 Comments
XuesongBai
Alumni

Hi Macro,

Do you mean that the Replace Asset function is not working with you? That says that replace does not recognize the used parameters of the replaced asset. In this case, you still spend lots of time and effort on changing  the  parameters after the repalce.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

mk92
Collaborator

It does not work if you have a chain or a kombination of assets. For single standing assets it works fine! The problem is if you have something like a conveyor line or a bigger machine that you exchange the old asset BUT it does not reconnect to the old connector points. So you have to do that manually. Same for the parameters. You have to enter them again.

In my point of view it is common to replace an old asset with an similar asset, so often they have the same connector points like inbound and outbound or something- Also most of them will have similar parameters like Lenght or Hight[...]. So it would be a nice feature to have a replace asset function which supports "Same parameters remain" "Same connectors remain connected (If there is something fixed connect at least one)"

The match properties function is an addition to this is think. It is a nice addition to the worklow. Imagine you draw a conveyor line in the first version everything is estimated and you have a conveyor with a lot of parameters in different versions. When drafting the layout you realize you want those conveyors to have the same parameters. Now what? Exchange all by hand and reconnect them again? A lot of fun in a big layout. Use the Replace Asset function - still the same problem. So you copy/paste them and reconnect them by hand or enter all the parameters by hand.

Correct me if i miss something or if my Replace Asset function is broken 😃

Regards

olegd.prod
Autodesk

This is implemented in the 2017 R2 update.

During "Replace Asset" workflows, we will match parameters by name between the old and the new asset, and carry the matching parameter values to the new asset.  We will also attempt to reconnect the connectors after a "replace" - this is done purely based on connectors still being close enough to each other.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/FDS/2017/ENU/?guid=GUID-1B039760-0CC2-4D4B-B573-113852ADD88B

mk92
Collaborator

I know and its great!

But while working out a layout there is often a case where you have the same assets in different versions in the layout. And while going more into detail, in later phases, you or the team decides to match these assets to the same version. At the moment we change all assets by hand in each asset. The more complicated an asset is the more time is needed to change these! So we also need this function outside of the replace function!

olegd.prod
Autodesk
mk92
Collaborator

No not really. The case is a different one!

The case I mean is, in a layout there are many same assets which do the same thing like lift something up. But in early stages of a layout they all could be different. In later stages of the layout the decision could be made to match these, for better production and so on. If you have 10 assets with 5 parameter, no problem. But if you have to change complex assets with 20+ parameter 50 times or more. You need a huge amount of time.

Instead in would be nice if you could mark the one you would like to change and a source where the new parameter should come from. Like match properties in AutoCAD.

MatchProperties.jpg

olegd.prod
Autodesk
So a "Select multiple and Replace with Asset, while trying to preserve parameters" command?
mk92
Collaborator
No, just an i have a version of Asset "A" which is correct and i have 10 other versions of Asset "A" and i want to copy all parameter from the right one to the other ones i marked! So you dont need to do this by hand. Its like the feature in AutoCAD you have done all settings to one dimensioning and you copy all your settings like the font size from one source to all other dimensions you click!
mk92
Collaborator
Or did you mean preserve the parameters of the source and replace all i have marked? Then you are correct 🙂
XuesongBai
Alumni

@mk9 "Select multiple and Replace with Asset" as Oleg mentioned can help you address your case in FDS 2017 R2.

mk92
Collaborator

I understand what you mean but in your case the replaced assets get the parameter of the one in the library. That's not what I mean.

Lets say we have an Asset called "Conveyor X" which has a length of 2000mm. And 20 other "Coneyor X" assets in the layout with different length. It is fine to change because you can mark the 20 other and say Length = 2000mm and you are done. If "Conveyor X" has 25 or more parameter because it is a very complex conveyor, you have to do round about 25 inputs to become the same result, when you are sure you can change all 20 other conveyors. But in the reality you gain the information step by step and you will do this 25 inputs maybe 5 times.

So in addition to the "Replace with asset" it would be nice if we not only could select from the asset library rather an asset which is already in the layout and then "Copy values for Factory Asset parameter matches". But I think this function has to be in two steps. Because the length of these to assets could be different. So it has to be like this:

- "replace with asset"

- choose the source Assets in the Layout

- replace with using the old parameter

- because with this length the old connections could reconnect

- then adding the new parameter and update the replaced asset

This case happens often during a workday especially in early project phases, so there would be a good productivity  improvement.

olegd.prod
Autodesk
So this is not really "replace", this is more like "Copy parameter values from one asset in layout to selected assets of the same type" ?
XuesongBai
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

XuesongBai
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

XuesongBai
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi @mk92,

in the follwing steps:

- "replace with asset" (We already have "Replace with Asset" function in context menu when you have all your to-be-replaced assets selected, Solved)

- choose the source Assets in the Layout (If you have the asset's representative in library, choose the library one will do the same trick)

- replace with using the old parameter (There is one check box in Replace with Asset dialog, called "Copy values for Factory asset parameter matches",  Solved)

- because with this length the old connections could reconnect (Solved with above and our "Infer connections" option in Factory Options. Solved)

- then adding the new parameter and update the replaced asset (with all the 20 assets selected, you can change the value of Length parameter in Factory Properties palette. Since they are the same asset family, they will have their parameter value displayed in FPP, same values will display as value, different values will display "*VARIES*". You can still change the length to be 1 value, all other parameter values will remain untouched. Solved)

DifferentValue - Copy.png

So I guess all 5 steps are solved. If you have more questions or concerns, let me know.

Mickey

liqinomickey
Autodesk

Hi @mk92 , does the above solution work for you? Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report