cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamo for FDU

Dynamo for FDU

Hi all,

i think an integration of Dynamo into the FDU/Inventor would have several benefits for the users.

The idea to integrate Dynamo into Inventor has already been posted here on the Inventor Idea Station:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/dynamo-for-inventor/idi-p/5552658
I know that this probably would have to be implemented by the Inventor team but i just wanted to add this idea to the FDU idea station to collect some potential benefits/use cases for FDU users. 

Benefits:

1. User friendly

Dynamo as a Visual Programming Tool is easier to use than e.g. iLogic (even though there are some code snippets) in my opinion. Especially for users who have no experience in writing code.

2. Option to write custom nodes in Python + User Packages

Dynamo offers the option to write custom nodes in Python. A programming language which is getting more and more popular. Several custom nodes can be put into a package which then can published to the package manager. Those packages can then be downloaded by other users and be used in their scripts. There are already several packages (e.g. for Space Analysis, Space Planning Toolkit for Refinery, Energy Analysis, etc.) available which probably could be used in context with FDU as well.

3. Additional option to implement automation workflows

Dynamo would offer the user an additional option to automate workflows (create drawings, import data, convert into different file formats, shrinkwrap with predetermined settings, place assets into layout etc.). 
I could imagine a possible dynamo script where you select certain assets (e.g. machines) in the layout and then select assets from the asset browser (Racks or Boxes) to automatically place next to those assets on a desired side and in a desired quantity. 

4. Better interoperability with Revit

The implementation of Dynamo could probably improve the interoperability with Revit. One could probably create dynamo scripts to export revit families with predetermined settings and properties.

5. Generative Design for Factory Layouts (Dynamo+Refinery)

An implementation would give the users the possibility to generatively create and optimize factory layouts.
Autodesk is already testing this in a partnership with Airbus:

https://adsknews.autodesk.com/news/autodesk-airbus-generative-design-aerospace-factory
One could think of optimizing paths, material flows, remaining area, visibility, etc. in a factory. 

If you have additional benefits or use cases for Dynamo in Inventor/FDU please add below and support this idea.

Kind regards,

Florian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report