cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Mirror Connectors

Ability to Mirror Connectors

All,

I have an asset that can either be left handed or right handed and have built a set of connectors for the left side.  Instead of placing additional connectors on the right side and then suppressing them, I would like to be able to mirror the connectors to the other side.  However, I cannot select them in the mirror feature command, and they didn't seem to transfer over when I performed a solid mirror of the object itself.  Can the ability to mirror connectors be added to FDS?

Here is my scenario in pictures below:

Initial Connector Configuration.png

Left Connector Configuration

Connector Right Configuration.png

Right Configuration, Connector Still on Left Side

Connector to Mirror.png

Desire to Mirror Connector, but Cannot

It is odd that I can select the connector as a feature in iLogic to suppress, but cannot select it as a feature to mirror.  I would have to create fewer connectors if I could just mirror the existing one, as in the scenario above.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

2 Comments
TylerWhitehouse
Community Visitor

While I do agree that mirroring a connector and removing the original would be incredibly useful, that is a function that seems to currently be reserved for only solids. The fact that you can't mirror a connector makes sense in that regard.

Instead, there is a work around that will allow you to effectively mirror a connector with only a little bit of set up and some iLogic.

1. Start by producing a central plane you will be mirroring about
  2. Make another plane with an offset from said central plane. This is the plane that is to be "mirrored"
  3. Define a point on the "mirrored" plane. I chose the intersection of the "mirrored" plane and the X-Axis
  4. Define a connector to that point, and define its axes according to something on the mirrored plane. I chose the X-Axis to be normal to the plane

5. Finally, I wrote the following iLogic code:

SyntaxEditor Code Snippet

If Output_Side = "Left" Then
   'WorkPlane.FlipNormal(plane name, desired direction)
    WorkPlane.FlipNormal("Central Plane", "-X")
Else
    WorkPlane.FlipNormal("Central Plane", "X")
End If

When the key parameter is set to Right:

mirroring connectors 1.png

When the key parameter is set to Left:

mirroring connectors 2.png

This allows you to effectively mirror the connector by simply flipping the normal of only one plane.

I would love to know if this is an adequate enough work around for you. Hopefully, this will be able to help anyone else desiring to use this functionality while it is unavailable.

XuesongBai
Alumni

Thanks tywhitehouse10 for the workaround. That should be the only solution right now in current stage.

-Xuesong

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report