Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simultaneous Multi-user Asset Configuration and Vault Problems

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
petestrycharske
612 Views, 10 Replies

Simultaneous Multi-user Asset Configuration and Vault Problems

All,

Good afternoon!  I had a scenario occur last week that I've never run into before and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it.  Basically, I was helping with a training session at a client site and they are using Factory Utilities and Vault Professional 2017.  We were working on the same configurable model on several different computers and then trying to check this into Vault.  The same unique identifier was being applied locally for the same asset configuration, which is good and just fine, but issue occurred when trying to check into Vault.  In this instance, I was the first one to check the assembly and the newly configured assets into Vault, then the students went next.  For the assets that were configured identically to mine, the students got an error message (which I couldn't catch, sadly) and they were prevented from checking in their assemblies.  We tried to have them refresh from the Vault, but that didn't work either.  We moved on and I didn't have the wherewithal to try this at the time, but I should have had them save the assembly, close it an reopen it.  Not sure if that would have worked, but that is what I will try next time.

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has run into this before and if there are some steps to resolve the issue.  Probably a pretty rare event, but I want to be prepared in case I run into it again.  Thanks in advance for any assistance and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi Pete,

It is hard to diagnose the issue. Could you ask the students share the snapshot of the error message?

Basically,if the newly configured asset instance is already checked into Vault (Factory Assets folder in Vault), we will ignore it when checking it in another machines.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 11

Hi Pete,

Again. Did you set the workspace in the network shared folder in Inventor Vault Project? So all of newly configurable asset instances by different users are stored at same place?

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 4 of 11

Xuesong,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to get a screenshot from the students, but I'll try to replicate with a colleague on a new server on Monday or early next week.  I'll try to get you a screen capture or video from that.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 11

All,

Good evening!  Sorry it took me a little while, but I was able to set up a shared server in my classroom and then configure two identical assets on two different computers at roughly the same time.  As expected, they both utilized the same unique identifier, since they were configured the same way.  When I checked the layout containing the asset into Vault from the classroom computer, everything checked in just fine.  However, when I tried to check in the layout that contained the same asset on my personal computer, I got all sorts of errors that I couldn't resolve.  I tried to shoot a video of the issue, but unfortunately it came through without sound...

What I need is to figure out the best way around this issue.  This should be a relatively rare occurrence, but if it does pop up, I need a reliable way to fix it.  I didn't try this, but I suspect if I had found the offending asset and deleted it, followed by replacing and configuring the same asset, I would have had a stable "Vaultable" assembly.  However, that is going to be pretty tough on users, I suspect, so I'd like a better way if one exists.  If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hopefully the video supplies enough information to replicate the issue...  Hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 6 of 11

Hi Pete,
Thanks for a clear explanation.
My guess is that if you log out of Vault on the 2nd machine, and then log back in (maybe closing/opening the file too), the Vault add-in would recognize that the asset instance file is already in the Vault, and would then handle things from there...

Thank you,

Oleg
Message 7 of 11

Oleg,

Good afternoon!  Thanks for the tip and I've had some success with it, but I'm still running into some slight problems on the second computer.  By either logging out of Vault or saving and closing the assembly (and then reopening), I can successfully check the assembly from the second computer into Vault, so a BIG thank you!  However, when I refresh the status of the Vault client on the second computer, the assets now show with a status unknown.  If I do a get on those assets, then when I open up my assembly, I have to update and then do another check out / check in process.  Do you have any ideas how to get around that?  Please see the screenshot to see what I mean.  Thanks for the help and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

2nd Machine_Vault Status.PNG

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 8 of 11

Not sure what's going on here, but I am curious why the Vault Explorer behavior matters here? In-Inventor behavior is as-desired, no?

Thank you,

Oleg
Message 9 of 11

Hi Pete,

Are you using the same Vault user account to log into Vault in the second machine?

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 10 of 11

Xuesong,

Good evening!  Yes I believe I am.  In our classroom everyone is the Student user, so the accounts would all be the same.  Would that be reason for the "Unknown Status".

Oleg, I'm not sure this would be a problem, but I'm afraid the "Unknown Status" might cause some confusion.  Just trying to avoid that if I can.  Thanks for the help, guys and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 11 of 11

Hi Pete,

Good Morning(when you see it).

From my testing result: that is the reason for the unknown status.

If we use different Vault user account, everything behave well and as expected.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report