Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old assets not allowing property change after 2017 upgrade

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
chrismudd
679 Views, 5 Replies

Old assets not allowing property change after 2017 upgrade

We have recently upgraded from Factory Design Suite 2016 to 2017.  We have also made the switch from Vault Basic to Vault Pro.  Aside from a few hiccups, the transition has been relatively smooth with the exception to one big issue we are experiencing.  When we open an assembly that was created using Inventor 2016 and choose an asset that needs to be changed, the Factory Properties Menu will do one of two things.  It will either remain grayed out as if you have not selected anything at all. (see first pic) or it will display the message "The selected asset is not in your library.  Parameters cannot be edited." (see second pic)  Clearly both items that were selected in the screen shots are local, vaulted and checked out.  (see pictures 3 & 4)

However, if you were to place a brand new copy of those same assets, you can manipulate their properties without any issue at all.  (see pictures 5 thru 😎 

This is a huge problem for us!  if we have to replace every single asset in our assemblies with a brand new one just to be able to modify it, we may as well scrap that assembly and start from scratch.  Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

Capture 1.JPG

Capture 2.JPGCapture 3.JPGCapture 4.JPGCapture 5.JPGCapture 6.JPGCapture 7.JPGCapture 8.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
olegd.prod
in reply to: chrismudd

Hi Chris,
Factory works by using asset definitions from the Asset Library. When you select something in CAD, we will try to find the corresponding asset definition in the asset library. If we can find it, we'll know how to edit parameters.
So "local, vaulted and checked out" isn't sufficient to edit parameters - the asset definition needs to be in the asset library.

You said that "However, if you were to place a brand new copy of those same assets, you can manipulate their properties without any issue at all. (see pictures 5 thru 8)." How are you placing this brand new copy? By dragging from the Factory Asset Browser? If so, that seems to suggest that the asset ID (as recorded in the library) may've changed, and that is causing the "Asset not found. Parameters cannot be edited" scenario. The ID may've changed if the asset was deleted from the library, and then the same CAD file was published again.
Does any of this ring a bell?

Thank you,

Oleg
Message 3 of 6
prmorris
in reply to: olegd.prod

I'm have a similar issue: "The selected asset is not in your library. parameters cannot be edited:

So my issue is that I have packngo an assembly file that had factory assets in it.  I opened it on another computer and this is the error I get when I want to change the parameters in the asset.

I have the factory add-on for Inventor 2017.

How do I include these assets in my library if I pack n go them?  I cannot find where my library is.  

Can someone help me out on this??

Thanks. 

Message 4 of 6
chrismudd

Oleg - Thank you for your reply.  We have had a while to stew on what you said and couldn't really come up with a solution based on your input, although after you read our solution, it may be exactly what you told us to do and we just didn't understand.  Regardless, thanks for your input.

prmorris - this is how we fixed our problem.  I assume it should work in your situation as well. (see below)

If you open the "Asset Browser" window, it should have a few folders in it.  Ours looks like this. (see capture 2)  In our case, all of our assets are vaulted so you can search and place them as you normally could by browsing through the "Vault Asset" folder.  To find where your files are stored locally, you can right click on the folder inside the Asset Browser and then click "Explore"  That will take you to the local location of these files.  

Wherever you have your assets stored, copy all assets, right click on the "User Assets" folder and then "Explore."  Paste the copied assets in this folder. (Capture 4)   

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it or not, but it seems to have solved our problem.  

However, this may raise some potential problems, especially if you update or change your assets a lot.  We haven't experienced any issues so far, but that's not saying it won't for you, or later for us.

You may have to pack and go all of your assets and put them locally on the other machine for you to be able to modify them???

Hopefully this is more helpful than confusing

Capture 2.JPGCapture 4.JPG

Message 5 of 6
olegd.prod
in reply to: prmorris

Hello,
As you found out, Pack-and-Go doesn't include Factory assets.
On the computer where you executed PaG, you can right-click (in the Factory Asset Browser) on the assets you were using, and "Explore" - this will help you figure out where they live on disk.

If you want to work with your layouts on multiple computers, our recommendation is to use shared libraries - shared via a network file server or via Vault.

Thank you,

Oleg
Message 6 of 6
olegd.prod

Hi Chris,
After reading your last post, I am wondering if I fully understood your original problem ... so my response may've been off-topic. Sorry about that.
I would like to understand what was/is going on. Ping me via email if you want to look into this further, and we'll see what we can see. oleg.dimerman@

Thank you,

Oleg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report