Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDS Library and Offline Folder

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mk92
398 Views, 3 Replies

FDS Library and Offline Folder

Hi,

when not connected to out servers we use Windows offline folder to keep our important data like templates and so on on the machines. Also the FDS Asset Library folder is declared as an offline folder and all the data is stored local if the computer isn't connected to the network.

But, if I look inside the FDS in my library the folder is empty. If I look in the windows explorer all data is synchronized to the local hard disk.

The path is correct declared in the project. And we use the FDS 2016.

Any ideas?

Regards

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
olegd.prod
in reply to: mk92

Hi there,
I am not very familiar with Windows Offline Folders, but my guess is that this is a Windows Explorer-level feature.
Let me explain (I am making a number of assumptions here, so please correct me if I get them wrong):
* You configure an asset library on \\server\share and mark that share for offline use on your client computer
* When you are offline, and try to access \\server\share in Windows Explorer, you see files - this is Windows Explorer doing the "offline caching" thing
* I am guessing that if you open a command prompt, and try to access \\server\share, it will not work - this would confirm that this is a Windows Explorer-level feature. We, like the command prompt, call Windows APIs to access \\server\share. If the API returns a list of files, we'll use it. If it doesn't ... not much we can do

Thank you,

Oleg
Message 3 of 4
mk92
in reply to: olegd.prod

* You configure an asset library on \\server\share and mark that share for offline use on your client computer

Correct!

* When you are offline, and try to access \\server\share in Windows Explorer, you see files - this is Windows Explorer doing the "offline caching" thing

Correct!

* I am guessing that if you open a command prompt, and try to access \\server\share, it will not work - this would confirm that this is a Windows Explorer-level feature. We, like the command prompt, call Windows APIs to access \\server\share. If the API returns a list of files, we'll use it. If it doesn't ... not much we can do

I tried to open it via cmd with explorer "\\server" and it worked. If I did something wrong, please tell me!

Message 4 of 4
olegd.prod
in reply to: mk92

Sorry, I should've been more specific:
While offline, open the Command Prompt (cmd.exe)
Type in "dir \\yourserver\share" (without double-quotes) and hit enter

I am guessing that this will not work - that is, you will not see a list of files/folders. Can you try this and describe the results (or just paste a screenshot)?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report