Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory assets folder

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
luismestre
1975 Views, 13 Replies

Factory assets folder

Hi

Is it possible to change the location of the factory assets folder?

By default Inventor creates this folder in the project folder location.

Is possible to point this folder to a different location.

See pic in attachment.

Regards

Luis Mestre

Luis Mestre
Oil&Gas Sr.3D & Subsea/Structural Designer
"Autodesk Autocad/Inventor & 3D Studio Max"
Email:lmsmestre@gmail.com
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
LukeDavenport
in reply to: luismestre

This would be very useful - several customers have asked me about this. At present you would need to adopt a 'Multiple Project File' method to have a separate Factory Assets folder for each job.

Autodesk - is some flexibility with save location for Factory Assets within a single Project file being considered?

Message 3 of 14
olegd.prod
in reply to: LukeDavenport

Hi there,
The "Factory Assets" folder is created under the "Workspace" location, as controlled by the Inventor Project.

HTH

Oelg
Message 4 of 14
luismestre
in reply to: olegd.prod

Oelg  ....you are pretty much saying what I've said in start of the post. question is ...can Autodesk change it  in the future, to be more flexible?

As i understand this option  is  hard coded in the app and can not be changed. correct?

Luis Mestre
Message 5 of 14
olegd.prod

Hi Luis,
The fact that the "Factory Assets" folder goes under the current "workspace folder" is hard-coded, but the location of the "workspace folder" can be changed by changing the IPJ.

Scenario:
You have a project file c:\temp\test.ipj. The default workspace location is "same folder", so Factory will put assets in "c:\temp\Factory Assets"
If you change the project's workspace location to d:\foo\bar, Factory will put assets in "d:\foo\bar\Factory Assets"

End result: you can control where the "Factory Assets" folder ends up.

You tell me if we are saying the same thing 🙂
Message 6 of 14
luismestre

let me rephrase then.

Can  the user change the location of the factory assets folder independently  of the project file ( ipj) ?  correct answer is NO, correct?

Luis Mestre
Message 7 of 14
olegd.prod

Ok, you win 🙂

What's your thinking on how such a setting would work? Would this setting be per-layout? Per collection-of-layouts?
And, most importantly: why do you want to do this? What's the benefit?
Message 8 of 14
BjornvanOs

Hi,

I suggest the same way as we can configure the folder and folderstructure with content center.

So the general folder location and the subfolder with a specific standard or product.

Kind regards,
Bjorn van Os

Always streamlining the engineering process for a better integration in the organisation with Inventor| Factory Design | Vault Pro

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.
Message 9 of 14
luismestre

Olegd

Manly because in our organization we have a standard folder structure for all the  projects,  for content center and libraries we have it more centralized.

The "factory Assets" folder became standard in our organization more or less forced by the application ( Inventor ) see picture attached.

Having the location of this folder more flexible doesn't bring huge benefits, it's more to suit everyone's standards ( folder structures).

Luis Mestre
Message 10 of 14
olegd.prod

Would this setting be per-layout? For some collection of layouts? For all layouts on a machine?

Oleg
Message 11 of 14
luismestre

This is our standard setting in our organization for all our projects.
Everytime we get a new project a set of folders is created in our vault
automatically via a script.
Luis Mestre
Message 12 of 14
olegd.prod

What is the relationship between your "project" and Inventor IPJs?
Message 13 of 14
luismestre

The ipj file is located at this level for every single project.
Luis Mestre
Message 14 of 14
olegd.prod

Ok, is this a correct description of your request: ability to configure, per-Inventor-project-file, the location of the "Factory Assets" folder?

If this is a correct description, I'd encourage you to post it to the Ideas section of the forum, and we'll see how much support (votes) it will get.
We do review all ideas, and the community's support for each idea is one of the criteria we look at.

Thanks,

Oleg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report