Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Factory Assets - folder location

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
BStrothcamp
2763 Views, 9 Replies

Factory Assets - folder location

Our IT department moves things around all the time and paths change.... currently when i place an asset it creates a folder on my local hard drive and saves them all there. In Inventor I see where you can control all other locations for these types of files but none for the assets.

I want them to be saved in the same project folder as my assemblies and parts... imported components already work this way but cannot find that particular reference as an example. I am now totally confused. What an I doing wrong. Keep in mind I am also new to inventor.

I have 2 projects already completed which all assets are linked to this common folder on my local drive. Since I made a lot of mistakes there are hundreds of parts tin there that were created and i only need a handfull of them (the ones which currently exist in the drawing). They are all named funky 89bhtw876hw76hw098h76w0 like that. Is there an easy way to gather these up and keep them in their proper project folder where they belong?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jeff.pek
in reply to: BStrothcamp

Hi -

We use this hard-coded subfolder, within your project workspace, for these files.

Are you saying that these files are not within your workspace?

Can you post a screenshot or 2 illustrating what you're seeing?

Thanks for clarifying,

Jeff

Message 3 of 10
BStrothcamp
in reply to: jeff.pek

Will try to explain...

IT sets up an environment in our OS.

C:\Proj

That is were things like My Music, My Pictures and things are automatically created.

In Inventor 'Applications Options' the projects folder is set to C:\Proj\Inventor

Therefore, folders like: Content Center Files, Factory Assets, Factory Cloud Library, Task Scheduler are all created there.

It just makes no sense to me that unique Factory Assets are not saved in the Network Folder where the Project resides... Imported components behave in this manner.

Right now if I add an asset to an assembly it gets saved to my local drive. If a collegue adds something he dont see mine and I will never see his. BTW we do not use the Vault and probably never will (corporate IT decision).

That help? Right now I am the only user of this product but once we roll it out I do not want our network to be full of useless assets that were removed from the drawing (thats the second part of my problem, first is getting them saved in the folder with the assembly)

Message 4 of 10
jeff.pek

It sounds like you're using Inventor's "Default" project, and not a specific project. If you switch to using a project, which can be on a network drive, and a corresponding shared workspace, I think you can achieve what you're looking for.

Can you give that a try?

Cheers,

Jeff

Message 5 of 10
BStrothcamp

I have tried that but still need to remap if the project were to move to an archive drive. Pain in the rear... I would think that it could behave in a way such as Autocad with its relative paths cd..

Still though.... when working on a project after a while you may end up with a thousand pieces of fencing even though you are only using 2 in the final design... just think if you remove it from the assembly... it should remove it from the project folder.... it is unique anyway after all... just not getting the logic sometimes I guess.

Let me do some more testing I guess... BTW I'm the guy you have been working with a bit thru Shibai, name is Brian

Message 6 of 10
jeff.pek

Ah, hi Brian.

I don't have a great answer for you on how to get rid of the "noise" created by the possible intermediate copies of the assets. We have expected that Vault would be used -- along with its "Where used" capability -- to hold on to those copies that are active, vs. those that are not.

We do intentionally keep those around, because who's to say that a particular asset instance isn't used in some other layout (in the same workspace)? 

Perhaps we can consider some sort of tool, in the future, to scan a set of layout assemblies and identify any of the "Factory Assets" that aren't used by any of those. 

Cheers,

Jeff

Message 7 of 10
BStrothcamp

I attached a screen of the files being saved... this is just from me playing around and never even saved an assembly or part... once it makes them they remain there. Eventually I would run out of disk space.

Message 8 of 10
jeff.pek

Thanks, Brian. I understand. Keep in mind that it only creates new files for unique combinations of parameters (and properties), so it doesn't grow infinitely.

We can consider, perhaps, doing something to only actually create the files on save -- but this mechanism would have issues in a multi-user situation, so I'm not sure it's feasible.

Jeff

Message 9 of 10
BStrothcamp

I see both sides... I worked 10 years in manufacturing environment but am now more of a consultant. So we will never be manufacturing parts/assets. Even if we did I may not want to make drawings/part files unless I decide to 'publish' them from an assembly... after all they are already saved as assets.

Im just offering perspective. I think the market factory cad is targeting is my kind of work more than making parts.

Message 10 of 10
luismestre
in reply to: jeff.pek

Hi Jeff

I'm facing a slight different problem but related to the same subject.

I don't agree that this should be left the project folder shared by multiple disciplines.

The user should be able to point where to save the assets  ...similar to frame generator.

We have a standard folder structure to store our files, having locked folders by default is not a good idea. the application should be as much as possible flexible.

In my case this it means that I cant move this folder to the correct discipline folder. ( see attachment).

Luis Mestre
Oil&Gas Sr.3D & Subsea/Structural Designer
"Autodesk Autocad/Inventor & 3D Studio Max"
Email:lmsmestre@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report