Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Alert when a new version is available when Eagle is running

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
samykamkar
317 Views, 5 Replies

Suggestion: Alert when a new version is available when Eagle is running

I'm running Eagle 8.0.1 on macOS 10.12.3. I typically keep Eagle running at all times and had no idea a new version was available until Jorge mentioned it to me in a post on here.

It would be nice to pop an alert once a new version is available with the options to "Download & Install", "Remind me later (1 day? a few days?)", or "Ignore". This should only happen if Eagle is running.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
rachaelATWH4
in reply to: samykamkar

Oh you'd have to be able to turn those nagging pop-ups off. That'd drive me insane! Smiley Tongue

How about an icon in the status bar instead? That's how some IDE's I've used show there is an update.

Best Regards,

Rachael

Message 3 of 6
edwin.robledo

Hi SamyKamkar,

Your ideas and suggestions are always greatly appreciated, but having an update pop up seems like an intrusion to your work flow. I have gotten use to clicking on Help/About every few weeks on many of my applications to make certain I am using the latest version.  Before we make that recommendation to the developing team, it would be interesting to find out what the rest of the community thinks about this.  

Thanks again for your continued participation. 

Best Regards,

Ed

Edwin Robledo
Tech Marketing Manager
Message 4 of 6

@edwin.robledo wrote:

Hi SamyKamkar,

Your ideas and suggestions are always greatly appreciated, but having an update pop up seems like an intrusion to your work flow. I have gotten use to clicking on Help/About every few weeks on many of my applications to make certain I am using the latest version.  Before we make that recommendation to the developing team, it would be interesting to find out what the rest of the community thinks about this.  

Thanks again for your continued participation. 

Best Regards,

Ed

My 2p worth....

With CAD tools, unless you have an issue you need to resolve or a new feature is released that will significantly improve your workflow then you shouldn't be regularly updating your version, you should plan to test a new release an migrate to it at a convenient time. Stability and consistency is hugely important in CAD tools so constant updating to the latest and greatest is a) a distraction and b) a risk. I certainly don't want a naggy pop-up whenever a new version is available, that would annoy me, but I agree with Samy that there could be a better way of making people aware.

As I said above, there could be a small notification icon in the status bar area at the right hand side maybe. Alternatively, how about releases are announced with some fanfare on the various forums like the always used to be so people actually know about them!

One final thought, you always used to release beta versions for testing prior to the main releases and this would catch a lot of problems which would then be fixed for the main release. You seem to have scrapped this... well, you haven't, you are still shipping beta software, you are just calling it a release! Smiley Tongue

Seriously though, as part of a much more robust and thorough testing and release process, you should probably bring back the public beta's prior to releases again. It might help alleviate a lot of the teething troubles and stop lots of people getting upset with having paid for unstable software.

Best Regards,

Rachael

Message 5 of 6
samykamkar
in reply to: edwin.robledo

Hi Edwin,

I appreciate wanting to not interrupt workflow and I agree. A simple solution would be to pop an alert if A) Eagle is running, B) there is an update available, C) there has not been mouse/keyboard activity for 10 minutes, D) user hasn't intentionally hit "Ignore" for that update once before.

Worst case scenario, the user will see it when they return to their computer and if they don't care about this specific update, they hit Ignore and won't be bothered until next update (once thy've left their computer for some time).

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
edwin.robledo

Hi SamyKamkar,

I get it, some sort of discrete notification is a good idea.  I will bring this up to the team.

Thanks again for you continued enthusiasm!! 

Best Regards,

Ed

Edwin Robledo
Tech Marketing Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report