Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eagle v9.0.1 (latest) Gerber output specified as RS274X still exports as X2

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
trip-tracks
3077 Views, 9 Replies

Eagle v9.0.1 (latest) Gerber output specified as RS274X still exports as X2

I use PCB Way and they required RS274X gerber files for manufacturing.

They have specified to use the Spark Fun cam file sfe-gerb274x.cam, however, this file only exports for 2 layer boards, not 4 layer.

I have tried adding 2 addition gerber files with the layers I require but these are being exported as X2 while all the other legacy layers are RS274X

In the "CAM Processor" dialog in the "Gerber" heading, I have specified "Gerber RS-274X" as the output type but the file is still output as X2.

Could you provide a way around this bug please? (Even better fix it, but I need to resolve quickly so I can get my boards manufactured.

Thanks

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
rachaelATWH4
in reply to: trip-tracks

@trip-trackswrote:

I use PCB Way and they required RS274X gerber files for manufacturing.

They have specified to use the Spark Fun cam file sfe-gerb274x.cam, however, this file only exports for 2 layer boards, not 4 layer.

I have tried adding 2 addition gerber files with the layers I require but these are being exported as X2 while all the other legacy layers are RS274X

In the "CAM Processor" dialog in the "Gerber" heading, I have specified "Gerber RS-274X" as the output type but the file is still output as X2.

Could you provide a way around this bug please? (Even better fix it, but I need to resolve quickly so I can get my boards manufactured.

Thanks

Use a legacy CAM job (without making any changes to it) from an earlier version of EAGLE, or just use 8.5.2 for using the CAM processor so you have access to the fully fledged old CAM processor. This is what I do for Gerber generation as the new CAM processor has some issues and way too many restrictions.

Best Regards,

Rachael

Message 3 of 10
trip-tracks
in reply to: rachaelATWH4

Thanks for your quick response, Rachel.

Which legacy cam job would you recommend for a 4 layer board, that PCB Way won't reject?

Message 4 of 10
rachaelATWH4

@trip-trackswrote:

Thanks for your quick response, Rachel.

Which legacy cam job would you recommend for a 4 layer board, that PCB Way won't reject?

I've not used PCBWay so haven't looked at their requirements specifically but from the 8.5.2 cam folder I would suggest trying gerb274x-4layer.cam and see if this works. Remember not to make any edits to the legacy job after loading it as any changes will convert it to a new CAM job and it will fail to work again. You'll also need to separately run the excellon.cam job to generate your drill files.

Best Regards,

Rachael

Message 5 of 10
trip-tracks

Messy but I'll give it a try.

I've just been looking at the contents of the gerber files

For the bottom copper layer, the new format starts with

G04 EAGLE Gerber X2 export*
G75*
%MOMM*

The legacy exports start with 

G75*
%MOIN*%

So it seems (except for the changes to the CR/LF) the difference is the header

(I'm not sure why MOMM instead of MOIN but maybe that doesn't matter?)

I'm working if I removed the header if PCBWay would be ok

If I selected X2 export, the header is 

%TF

So, the RS274X export appears top be working but has the extra header line

Message 6 of 10
rachaelATWH4

@trip-trackswrote:

Messy but I'll give it a try.

Well, all my legacy CAM jobs are combined so I only have to load and run a single job for the stackup I am using, but I thought maybe explaining this might have added confusion so I kept it simple using just the standard supplied jobs.

@trip-trackswrote:

So it seems (except for the changes to the CR/LF) the difference is the header

(I'm not sure why MOMM instead of MOIN but maybe that doesn't matter?)

MOMM and MOIN will be mm or inches which will be changed if you specify imperial units rather than metric in the top right had side drop down in the new CAM processor.

You are probably right that if you just remove that top header line then it will probably be accepted by PCBWay. It's worth a try at least.

Best Regards,

Rachael

Message 7 of 10
trip-tracks

Thanks Rachel.

The obvious solution is to edit the cam file manually to add the 2 extra layers. 

I have done this and all working as legacy.

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 10
trip-tracks

Just to finish this one up, I manually edited the sparkfun cam file to include the 2 extra files I needed for the 2 inner layers. The processor worked correctly and PCBWay have accepted my files first attempt.

If anyone needs a copy of this edited file, I am happy to share.

Message 9 of 10
DLolo

@trip-tracks wrote:

Just to finish this one up, I manually edited the sparkfun cam file to include the 2 extra files I needed for the 2 inner layers. The processor worked correctly and PCBWay have accepted my files first attempt.

Yes, respond to this message with the new file attached, so that everyone benefits.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: DLolo

Can you send me the CAM processor please

@DLolo wrote:

@trip-tracks wrote:

Yes, respond to this message with the new file attached, so that everyone benefits.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report