Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Autodesk, here's an idea about EAGLE versions and licensing.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dougR6AS9
649 Views, 3 Replies

Dear Autodesk, here's an idea about EAGLE versions and licensing.

I tried to use the "Submit Your Ideas" option for this, but when I clicked "Post", it went into a long loop of web page refreshes that I finally had to kill off.  Here's my idea as a regular forum post:

The subscription licensing scheme is not appropriate for EAGLE.  You will only alienate current users in the same way Farnell alienated the community with the upgrade to version 7.0.

My idea is that you should return to the individual permanent license structure for EAGLE and keep it in the category of low price leader in the PCB design and manufacturing environment.  Then, separately, leverage your investment in EAGLE into a more powerful EDA design suite that will compete with other high-end design products (e.g. Altium) and use the subscription model for that.

Regards,

Doug

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
edwin.robledo
in reply to: dougR6AS9

Hi Doug,

Your participation on the forum is greatly appreciated.  Seems that your suggestion would be to split EAGLE in 2 separate programs.  One would adopt the traditional model of having multiple choices modules available with a license that doesn't ping home then a higher version of EAGLE, as the likes of Altium, that would support the subscription license.  

We understand your suggestion, but in reality this means having a development teams having to support 2 different programs.  There is a really good chance we might reach or surpass the likes of Altium, but for now we don't want to reach their price range.  The idea is to offer one product with 2 options that offers you an intelligent design experience with cutting edge tools.  All this can begin with a small investment of US$15.00/month for a commercial license.  

Many have express some discomfort with Subscription, but it has been around for a very long time in almost all professional software tools, usually disguised under the name of 'Yearly Maintenance'.  We didn't adopt something new, the new license model is something that has been successfully working for Autodesk for many years.  With this new format, you will no longer be waiting 2 to 3 years to have a major release.  The updates and major releases are included in your modest subscription. 

Greatly appreciate your ideas, continue adding as many as you can think of.  

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Best Regards,

Ed

Edwin Robledo
Tech Marketing Manager
Message 3 of 4
jm2morri
in reply to: edwin.robledo

@edwin.robledo wrote:

<snip>

Many have express some discomfort with Subscription, but it has been around for a very long time in almost all professional software tools, usually disguised under the name of 'Yearly Maintenance'.  We didn't adopt something new, the new license model is something that has been successfully working for Autodesk for many years.

<snip> 

Yes it has been around for awhile.  With "yearly maintenance' of Altium I get support and all the upgrades.  When I stop paying the tool continues to work exactly as it used to, I just lose access to updates and support.  I know because I had a licence.  I haven't paid since 2014 and I can still run AD14 no problem.

So this argument just highlights that it can be done and this issue about the tool not working in the future for professionals can easily be overcome.

Cheers,

James.

James Morrison
Embedded Design Services using EAGLE
Stratford Digital Inc.
Message 4 of 4
Tbaker25
in reply to: jm2morri

I prefer the subscription model. I've bee running Eagle 5.x until Autodesk bought it. No feature was worth the hundreds of dollars it cost to upgrade. It was an antiquated software package. With the backing of Autodesk with a subscription model, they have been pushing more improvements than Eagle has EVER gotten in a very short time; I am getting much more for my dollar.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report