Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom plated oval hole for USB micro-b connector

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
FrankEagle
2815 Views, 6 Replies

Custom plated oval hole for USB micro-b connector

Hello, 

I'm creating a new device on my library for a usb micro-b connector (attached the PDF with the PCB landing pattern). This connector has oval holes inside two of its pads. From what I understood, in order to create that plated shape I should: 

1. create the pad

2. add a oval via on the pad

3. create an oval hole using wire tool on the Milling layer

or 

1. create the pad

2. create an oval hole using wire tool on the Milling layer

Is any of the above solution the correct one?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
RichardHammerl
in reply to: FrankEagle

Hello FrankEagle,

please follow these steps:

- place the SMD on Top (maybe also on Bottom) layer

- now draw the contour of the opening in layer 46, Milling with a small wire width

If you are working with inner layers, be sure to draw a copper pad in these layers.

If you want to take a pad instead of a SMD, be sure that the dill of the pad is inside the Milling contour 

Hope this helps.

Richard Hammerl

Autodesk
Message 3 of 7
FrankEagle
in reply to: RichardHammerl

Thank you very much Richard.

Message 4 of 7
lurgaci
in reply to: FrankEagle

Halo Richard,

thanks for your great answer,

I have very similar problem, as i need a plated-through square, and in a close future other custom forms in EAGLE.

I have usually made this as follows:

• Square via with smallest hole of choosed pcb manufacturer (0.35mm)
  • Milling 0.01mm on layer 46 close to the extenal of the via (photo attached)

But should be a beter way for a plated thru-hole square, right? Pcb´s manufacturers after a few mails and up to a week, does it for me, but the minimum hole on pad confuses them and slows a lot the pcb manufacturing process.

Does making a library with 2 pad (top/botom) and a milling, makes a platting connection?

I finally would like to learn to do it on a proper library,  establishing proper clearances by using the power of eagle.

I have good experience on ealge and eagle library making for HF/RF.

How would you suggest to do this?

Big thanks in advance!

SQUARE_VIA.png

Message 5 of 7
coad2973
in reply to: RichardHammerl

I have done exactly what is stated in this thread (i.e. made oblong pads, with small drill holes, then on the milling layer I used the wire to try and cut out the hole), but when I saved it, and went to the CAM preview, the holes were not displayed, and it didn't give me the option to view a milling layer. So am I just supposed to assume my milling layer went through and alert the manufacturer that I did this or what? Because when I try to view the CAD files, the holes do not look like they are supposed to. Thanks, please help!!!

Message 6 of 7
RichardHammerl
in reply to: lurgaci

Hi @lurgaci ,

sorry for my late reply. I simply overlooked your post in this thread. 

You can also use two SMDs and draw the milling contour in layer 45, as you do with the square pad. If the milled opening in the board is surrounded by copper, it will be plated. This is the default process when manufacturing printed circuit boards. If the opening would not be surrounded by copper, it is not possible to do a plating. 

There is one critical aspect you have to think of:

What about inner layers? With SMDs you have copper on top and bottom layers, but NOT in inner layers.

With pads it is a bit less critical. You will have copper in the inner layers, BUT please keep in mind that all pads (no matter what shape the are in top or bottom) are of round shape in inner layers. 

I hope this helps. Best regards, 

Richard Hammerl

Autodesk
Message 7 of 7
RichardHammerl
in reply to: coad2973

Hi @coad2973 

the slotted holes should be visible in the manufacturer preview. Do you have the Board Contour Detection stitched on? 

This is a setting in Options/User Interface.

"Slotted" opening in the manufacturing preview"Slotted" opening in the manufacturing preview

Hope this helps. 

regards,

Richard Hammerl

Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report