Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about component connections

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
danw5050
397 Views, 1 Reply

Confused about component connections

Hello,

I have come across this PCB layout which has got me a bit confused over the way the components are connected here. You can see in the image of the close up there is a clock in the middle and two capacitors on either side. The capacitors should be connected to the ground, but I do not see that connection, am I missing anything? Also, is there a reason for there to be a through hole under the clock - is this to have more surface area to hold the clock to the board with solder paste?

In the large image of the circuit I have noticed a large number of through holes which dont seem to be connected to any kind of tracks. Is there a reason for that large amount of throughholes?

Thanks,

Dan

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
C.Nicks
in reply to: danw5050

danw5050,

There looks to be polygons that have not been processed, and that's where all of the vias will connect to ground. See the dotted outline around the outline of the board? That's an unprocessed polygon. If running ratsnest does not process the polygons, go to "Options -> Set... -> Misc" and ensure "Ratsnest processes polygons" option is checked. Also if you haven't, read the polygons section of the help to understand how Eagle handles polygons.

As for the ground via under the clock, that looks like it's there for extra ground stitching. Personally I tend to keep ground pours out from underneath crystals. Check the datasheet to see what the layout recommendations are.

Hopefully this information helps you out.

- Cameron

Best Regards,
Cameron

Eagle Library Resources

Kudos are much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others.
Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report