Community
EAGLE Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s EAGLE Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular EAGLE topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjust arc radius/start angle/end angle

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
cdenneyB9ZMH
1809 Views, 2 Replies

Adjust arc radius/start angle/end angle

I'm working on a footprint for a thumbwheel potentiometer and I would like to outline the shape of the wheel with silkscreen.

The wheel radius is 470 mils. The wheel itself is parallel to the board surface and hovers above the pads that it solders to. Here's a link to the PDF drawing

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/31XT_31TV_Series.pdf

What I'd like to is create 6 separate arc wires. Each arc wire would go between the pads of the component. Thus once the silkscreen is printed, you can see the wheel and the silkscreen line up nice and cleanly.

In order to do this, I need the radius to stay the same, and I only want to change the Start and End points of the arc. When creating an Arc in the library editor, you have the ability to change the From and To points, but as you change these, the Radius changes. I do not want that to happen. I want the Radius to stay exactly the same and I just want to change where along that arc the line begins and ends.

Take a look at the attached screenshot. See how the arc is intersecting with all of the pads. I need to break this up so that it does not overlap the pads and throw all sorts of DRC errors. I don't want to rely on my board house to make the changes either. So I need to be able to change the Start and End points and make sure the radius stays the same. How can I do this?

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 9.32.16 AM.pngThanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi cdenneyB9ZMH,

Greatly appreciate your participation on the forum!! There is a command in EAGLE that is available on the board editor and in the schematic editor that is called Slice. This command can be used to basically to cut lines in two, it could be used for NET, Traces or wires drawn in any layer. At this time the Slice tool doesn't have a icon on the library editor, but you can type in the command line.

Before using it, consider setting up your grid rather fine that will accommodate slicing the arcs at the exact point you need.  Type the command SLICE on the command line and press enter.  Before you start slicing enter a value for the width of the slice.

Take a look at this simple example:

Screen Shot 03-14-17 at 12.06 PM.PNG

I hope this help.

Best Regards,

Edwin

Please 'accept as solution' if my reply resolves your issue.

Edwin Robledo
Tech Marketing Manager
Message 3 of 3

Edwin,

That worked perfectly! Thank you for telling me about that. Here's a screenshot of my end result in case anybody else runs across this same problem in the future and would like to see how it resolved itself.

Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 12.40.12 PM.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report