window dynamic block mullion problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1444 Views, 9 Replies

window dynamic block mullion problem

hi all,

basically want a window with 2x3 panes.

I have successfully created the horizontal stretch with the mullion always staying at the middle (but im not sure if the way i make it is most efficient)

however, the vertical stretch is what i'm having problem with. (all the length of the panes should always equal)

see attached for block. 

much thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

Delete the constraints they only prevent correct behavior in this block.  Two stretch actions on the horizontal stretch with distance multipliers of 1 and 0.5.  Three stretch actions on vertical with distance multipliers of 1, 2/3, 1/3.  See attached.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

got it.

many thanks

Message 4 of 10
A.Cotham
in reply to: Anonymous

I have created a block similar to the one above but I am trying to incorporate glazing marks.  Currently my block (attached) has 3 window types: fixed, XO, and XOX.  I have created a 2nd block for all the styles of mullions we encounter regularly to insert and place on top of the window (attached).  I have also created a 3rd block to insert on top of the window for the glazing marks (attached).

My goal is to have the glazing marks part of the window block or mullion block.  Prefereably the window block.  The issue I am having with this is that we place a glazing mark at the top left of the window and the bottom right of the window.  Window sizes do not always allow for 2 glazing marks however so I need the bottom right markings to only be visible when the window reaches certain width and height.  A window only 1'x1' will only need a single mark, where as a 3'x5' window would require both marks.

Can anyone explain to me a way to get this to behave the way I'm hoping for, or even if this is possible.  If there were an easy way to add multiple visibility states this would be a simple thing.

Any help or feedback is appreciated, thank you!

Message 5 of 10
Libbya
in reply to: A.Cotham

It is certainly possible, but may be a considerable amount of effort on your part.  You could potentially combine all three blocks into one using double lookups although it would require 64 visibility states assuming the same muntin pattern is used in all panes.  More if not.

Getting the glazing to show 1 or 2 is fairly easy with a double lookup.  I'll work up and example.

Message 6 of 10
A.Cotham

Using 2 blocks with the window and grids is for a way for my company to draw all the winow locations  and massings of an exterior elevation then copy it all together for however many elevation the design has (elevation a, b, c usually) then just quick selecting the grids for elevation b an setting them to a style, then doing the same for c.  

If this functionality can be acheived with lookups as you mention then great.  I'm hourly so effort and time are how i make my money!

I have no experience with tables and lookups so bear with me if i seem a bit slow to catch on, thank you.

Message 7 of 10
Libbya

Here's an example block.  It is a bit complicated until you get the hang of how it works.  First, set BACTIONBARMODE=0 so you can see both lookup tables attached to lookup1.  The block is set up with a single lookup (lookup2) where the visibility grip was previously.  I copied the visibility states names and made them the lookup properties for the table associated with lookup2 parameter.  I added position1 X as the input property for that table.  A value of 1 corresponds to Fix, 2 to slider, etc...  I added 4 more visibility states and changed the names of the 4 existing ones.  The first number in the state name corresponds to the window type number in lookup2.  The second number corresponds to the number of glazing marks.  For example 1 - 1 is a 'fix' with 1 glazing mark.  1 - 2 is a 'fix' with 2 glazing marks.  2 - 1 is a single hung with 1 glazing mark, etc...  I then inserted a double lookup (it's a bit special to make but I've posted pictorials in various threads).  The input table got the Width and Height parameters as inputs and I inserted the range values so that if the height and width are both less than 2', only one glazing mark is displayed.  If either the Height or the Width goes above 2', two glazing marks are displayed.  The corresponding visibility states are inserted on the vis table.  You can adjust the specific widths where the vis changes on the input table.  

I've posted the same double lookup technique for adding faux multiple visibility states and it works well.  In this case if you add the 8 muntin patterns the result will be 64 visibility states provided with the multi-pane windows the muntin pattern is consistent for all the panes.  If not, then more visibility states would be required.  That's all within the realm of what I consider fairly easily doable.    

Message 8 of 10
A.Cotham

This is going to work out great.  I am going to search out your other posts that you mentioned and see how far i can take this.  Thank you for taking the time to show me how to get it working!

Message 9 of 10
Libbya

This thread has a pictorial on creating the double lookups on page 2.  There's also a fair amount of good info in it although my multi-vis process has developed a fair amount since the beginning of that thread so don't stop on page 1.  

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/ootb-multiple-visibility-states-solution/td-p/4961288

Message 10 of 10
Charles_Shade

A little different take on what you are doing.

Change the window size using the Block Properties Table and then change the Visibility through the Properties Palette.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services