Did you mean: 

Replace Dynamic Blocks with another Dynamic block

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
nick.carter
11061 Views, 10 Replies

Replace Dynamic Blocks with another Dynamic block

I recently updated our CAD Library to dynamic blocks to reduce the volume of blocks and increase functionality. In the process of updating our drawings, we realized that we could not use BLOCKREPLACE to replace dynamic blocks with another dynamic block (with new name and model) once the dynamic element has been changed. I realize that this changes the state of the block and anonymous block names are created.

I need a simple solution so that members of my group can easily replace dynamic blocks with new dynamic blocks. Our group runs AutoCAD2012 and we are new to Dynamic blocks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
CSEnginuities
in reply to: nick.carter

When I need to replace all instances of a block with another block, I insert the new one into the old one.  Once I am out of block editor, I select one instance of the block I don't want, select similar so that all instances are selected, then execute the Explode command.  This leaves the new one at all old block instances.  I don't know if this answers your question as this is something I do regardless of dynamic block ability.

G'luck!

Clara

Clara
----------
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Message 3 of 11

A bit late for you but maybe usefull for other people:

When you replace a "Standard" block for a dynamic, dont pick the dynamic block somewhere in the field but select the blockname in the blocklist.

The error you get is because the dynamic edited block is an new(hidden) block.

Gr,

Message 4 of 11

Another late response,

An additional simple solution is to use the "Rename" command, then insert the new block and redefine.

If you rename the existing block to match the name of the new block, then insert the new block. It will replace all of the existing blocks with the new one, regardless of the block being dynamic or not.

Hope this was helpful!

Message 5 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: 6700589

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Anything that adds to the discussion ios helpful no matter how late it is.

RENAME can be called from the Command line.

Message 6 of 11
jalla30jalla

I'm using Autocad 2016, what i did was, with designcenter view open and my master block file open, under Blocks right click select Insert and redefine, after that I used attsync and selected one of the block's to update.

Message 7 of 11
nconnelly

@6700589wrote:

Another late response,

An additional simple solution is to use the "Rename" command, then insert the new block and redefine.

If you rename the existing block to match the name of the new block, then insert the new block. It will replace all of the existing blocks with the new one, regardless of the block being dynamic or not.

Hope this was helpful!

This worked perfect.  Thanks!

Message 8 of 11

I had this problem of replacing blocks recently and was a bit disappointed that the find/replace blocks didnt work.  I ended up creating a visibility state in the block and drawing in how i wanted it to look then select similar and changed type.

Saved me a bit of time.

Message 9 of 11
wquevedoPBBV4

Just to make it clear for new users, you have to "rename" the old block using the same name as the new one then "insert" the new block using the insert option, AutoCAD as you if you want to redefine block, to what your are gonna say yes and finally insert the new one so the whole thing can take place.
Message 10 of 11
hwalker
in reply to: wquevedoPBBV4

The automatic pop up "Do you want to redefine" depends on what version of AutoCAD you are using.

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 11 of 11
ahmedomaira

I tried this and it is ok, thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services