9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
DamianBooth
479 Views, 9 Replies

Utilising lookup function with range syntax

Hi all,

First time posting, long time stalking.

I'm attempting to create a block with 3 different views of a helping hand bracket (elevation, plan & section), with a separate view for the rail elevation/length.

This issue I have is as follows: the helping hand bracket ranges from 65mm depth with a 60mm punched tab to 80-240mm depth with a 70mm punched tab, along with different cavity depths for the rails; 80-105mm for 65mm bracket, and 88-120mm for the 80mm bracket, increasing by 20mm each time until the 240mm bracket is 248-280mm. There will also be different rail configurations (on plan only), a 60x40mm L-rail, 100x60mm, 125x60mm & 125x40mm T-rail. My main gripe at the moment is trying to get a view of each bracket increment, along with a locked off cavity depth value for each.

This is a link to the system, which shows the bracket sizes/cavity depths. https://www.plastestrip.com/product-category/fastframe/helping-hand-systems/rivet-face-fix/

The block i've posted has all the information for the plan in the lookup table but still seems to be "read only".

I'm relatively new to using the lookup parameter so I'm positive I've done something incorrectly down the line, but if anybody has any advice then it would be much appreciated.

Damian

Labels (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Exevium
in reply to: DamianBooth

With Lookup tables, you can use brackets to select a range.

[80, 105] would select everything between 80 and 105, including 80 and 105.

(88, 120) would select everything between 88 and 120, but not include 88 and 120.

You can find the AutoCAD documentation here .

Message 3 of 10
DamianBooth

Hi @Exevium,

I've already managed to sort that inside the block, but for some reason, the block is now locked on "read only"

Message 4 of 10
Libbya

Are you trying to switch the Visibility state and Bracket depth based on the length of the Cavity depth parameter?  If so, then a single lookup will not work.  You need to use a double lookup with the Cavity depth on one of the tables and the Visibility/Bracket depth on the other table.  

Message 5 of 10
DamianBooth
in reply to: Libbya

Hi @Libbya,

Yes, that is correct; the cavity depths will dictate the different-sized brackets and rail positions, so they will be required to be shown as different visibilities.

I thought that might be the case, and I was kind of hoping you'd be the person to reply and confirm this. I always seem to come across double lookup block tutorials that tend to be set products with no adjustability, so I wasn't sure this was the right way to go.

I'll have a tinker on this over the coming days and no doubt add another problematic block version back to the comments that I'll need potential guidance on, but thanks for the support.

Message 6 of 10
Exevium

Ah, I understand. Missed the Lookup table the first time.

Is this what you mean? Keep in mind, there might be some conflicting results, due to overlapping ranges.

Message 7 of 10
DamianBooth
in reply to: Exevium

Hi @Exevium,

That works perfectly, but I've tried to replicate it and feel as though I've missed a minor detail that seems to be stopping me from changing the rail type. Could you have a look at the attached and maybe let me know where I've gone wrong?

I greatly appreciate your help on this.

Message 8 of 10
Exevium

It's a very minor detail: in the lookup table for Rail Type, instead of selecting the hidden point parameter for Rail Type (at 0,0), you were trying to stretch HIDDEN - Bracket depth.

Message 9 of 10
DamianBooth
in reply to: Exevium

Hi @Exevium,

THANKS! I knew it would be something simple, but I suspect I had gone parameter blind by this point 😂

Now, onto the arduous task of integrating the bracket sections into this.

One more question: Since I require three different types of views (elevation, plan, and section), is there a way to create a dropdown menu for each view type? Once the plan is clicked, I can select the cavity depth & rail type.

Message 10 of 10
Exevium

No worries, I have that problem often. Certainly when you look at the blocks @Libbya makes!

You can definitely add another lookup table with the Y location of Rail Type (or even add more point parameters with lookup tables for more options). Keep in mind, you now have 2 types of brackets, 2 lengths of brackets, and 3 views, totaling (2x2x3=) 12 visibility states. For every extra option that number increases exponentially.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost