Did you mean: 

Stretch dynamic block and keep center dot in center even after a stretch

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
jorgeseptien
20969 Views, 27 Replies

Stretch dynamic block and keep center dot in center even after a stretch

Attached is a block that I am using for Finish plans.  Basically how it works is that it is suppose to be inserted and then stretched to indicate a finish change in the floor.  When I insert it and stretch it, it works exactly as I want it, but when the scale is changed, the center tag resets to the original center before the block is stretched.  I would like it to stay in the center relative to the line that is stretched.

Not sure if you understand, but if you are good with dynamic blocks, please let me know if this is even possible.  You will notice that the dot is annotative where as the line that stretchs is not.  I cant have the line change because it will be stretched between two areas with different floor finishes and that will stay consistant.  I want the block to adjust so that it is the same size on all the scales of the drawing.

Let me know if this is possible.

Thank you all in advance.

Jorge Septien
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Generally making the Block Annotative and all the elements in it non-annotative is the way to go.

Why do you have 3 Stretch Actions in this Dyn Blk?

One Stretch Action on the End as you need and a Move Action w/ a Multiplier of .5 for the Dot would suffice.

Also turn the Grip off on the Postion Parameter if you don't want anyone moving the Dot outside of the Stretch.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 28
ojuris
in reply to: jorgeseptien

hi!

very interesting problem

may be that is right?

Juris

Message 4 of 28
jorgeseptien
in reply to: ojuris

Awesome!  That worked.  Please let me know how you did that.  I was going nuts.  Thanks for your help and for not judging my block.  It was doing everything I wanted it to do except the moving thing from scale to scale.  Thanks again.  You made my Friday.

Jorge Septien
Message 5 of 28
ojuris

nice to help You Smiley Happy

I just take out middle block from second stretch action - I leave in that stretch action only point parameter and for point parameter I allow chain action

and for point parameter I change stretch action to move action but I don`t know it was necessary

Juris

Message 6 of 28

Didn't judge just wondered why you did what you did. You should see some of the Dyn Blk's I've put together and still use.

If you had a reason I did not want to remove what you had in place.

Like the man said; 12 ways to skin a cat.

(And a 1/4 of the bytes too. Bonus)

Message 7 of 28

Still don't know why you would "reply" with questions rather than solutions.  That's all.  The block you sent me is not anything I could use.  I did not question your expertise, I only questioned your post.  Ojuris posted a block with a solution following the question I had posted.  I then asked him how he did it, and then he showed me.  That's what I needed.

Jorge Septien
Message 8 of 28

Just wanted to make sure I understood your need.

Hopefully in the future the solution will be as evidant as this one to the remote responder.

Still have no idea what is happening differently in the two blocks which is why I asked what you needed.

Message 9 of 28

Charles,

One version of the block correctly supports changes of Annotation Scale. The other doesn't. That's all.

Message 10 of 28
Anonymous

I have been searching for this answer for a month. This is the Shangrala of posts for me... I'm afraid if I close the window I'll never be able to solve this problem again. This solution works for all reseting of anotative dynamic blocks inside non-annotative dynamic blocks. So BEAUTIFUL!Smiley Very Happy

thank you!!!!!

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous

Hi I have been having a hard time creating a dynamic block that can stretch both ways and  maintain diagonal lines perpidecular to each other inside a box. After using the stretch command the lines becomes detached from the midpoint and I would have to incude a grip in the dynamic block to re-attach it. I have tried using constraints but I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to avoid having to use the grip at the end after stretching the block. Please see the attached block. 

If someone could help, I would much appreciate. Thanks.

Message 12 of 28
Libbya
in reply to: Anonymous

You said you wanted two things that seem to me to be contradictory.  You say you want the lines to remain perpendicular, but you also say that the problem is that the end of the line comes detached from the midpoint of the other line.  Unless the sides of the rectangle are equal, the line will not be perpendicular at the midpoint of the other line.  Which do you want?  Easiest is to have the line stay with the midpoint.  Harder is to keep it perpendicular.  Here is a version that keeps the end of the short line at the midpoint of the other line.   

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

That's exactly what I was looking for! I didn't know you can apply two stretch actions from a single linear distance.

Sorry for the confusion, the middle line didn't need to be perpindicular but needed to stay midpoint just like you showed.

I appreciate your help, Thanks.

Message 14 of 28
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Anonymous

Don't think that is all you can do with multiple Actions linked to a single Parameter

Some neat stuff I've culled over the years.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Yeh that is some really neat stuff! Most of my dynamic blocks are for HVAC and plumbing. I was hoping to do LISPS but that will probably be later.  Thanks for sharing.

Message 16 of 28
Libbya

To clarify the issue of the original poster in this thread and the solution to the annotative block problem, I would offer the following.  Stretch actions 'stretch' annotative objects in the current annotative scale ONLY.  Move actions move annotative objects in ALL annotative scales.  A simpler solution for the original block is to have a single stretch action with distance multiplier of 1 for the line and a single move action with distance multiplier of 0.5 for the annotative block.  See attached.   

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Libbya

Thanks for sharing and clarifying this information. Attached is a dynamic block I have just created. If it werent for you help I don't think it would be possible.

Thanks.

Message 18 of 28
rtokarski

I know a little late, but a great simple solution. Thank you!

Message 19 of 28
zhaohui.chen5TEA7

Good work!

In the sample drawing, there is only 1 (one) grip at the end of the line. A new question is, if the line can be stretched at both ends (two grips), is it still possible to keep the center dot in center?

Message 20 of 28
Libbya
in reply to: zhaohui.chen5TEA7

Yes, of course.  This starts with the last block I posted above and allows linear stretching either direction while keeping the circle centered.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

AutoCAD Beta