Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate and Stretch - chain reaction issues

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
joe.augusten
403 Views, 4 Replies

Rotate and Stretch - chain reaction issues

I'm trying to stretch two objects with only having to have one input for the length "outside face length".  The issue is one of the objects also needs to have a rotation parameter on it.

So the length needs to be a chain from one parameter stretch action "outside face length" to the other "outside face length2".

If I don't constrain the items on "outside face length2", once the "outside face length" is rotated, it will then laterally move the tops of the "outside length2" objects.  I need these to remain vertical.

The way i need to use this block is to increase the "wall bottom thickness" to let's say 8".  Then use the rotation grip and place it on the tan hidden line.  Then I would increase my outside length to lets say 30'  Then increase that outside spacing to say 15".  All red reinforcing would be 30' long (i'm ok with the verticals being 1/2" shorter due to rotation"), rotated on the left view and vertical on the right view.

So, I then constrain the ones on the right that i don't want to rotate/laterally stretch into a vertical position.  The issue is, if i lock the bottom of that line in order to hold the entire object where it needs to be (which I did on the left vertical bar), I then can't stretch/move this object under the "outside face spacing" action.

I tried doing this the other way around as well where I had the vertical ones on the right side detail be the main action for the length.  But then the parameter that gets rotated would be a chain, so when I rotate that parameter it doubles the rotation of the object bars themselves.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: joe.augusten

Attached a (simplified) example how to solve the issue using constraints only. (Your mix of Dynamic Parameters and constraints is not to recommend). 

This first attempt is only to clarify if I unnderstand your requests well. The user can "play" with the parameters d1, d2, d3 and ang1. Is this what you want to achieve?  

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
joe.augusten
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

At first glance, yes, this does exactly what i want.

It looks like rather than having chain reaction stretches for the rebar on the right detail, you just constrained horizontal/vertical points to force them to stretch with the bar on the left?

Message 4 of 5
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: joe.augusten

@joe.augusten wrote:

... you just constrained horizontal/vertical points to force them to stretch with the bar on the left?

Yes. 

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
joe.augusten
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Got that!  Everything worked in my larger block.  

Thanks!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

AutoCAD Inside the Factory

Autodesk Design & Make Report