Did you mean: 

Populating attributes with lookup table

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
robw
3917 Views, 10 Replies

Populating attributes with lookup table

Hi, I'm trying to create a block that has 4 layers of material, for each layer of material I want to add a description.

The descriptions are chosen from a specific list of appropriate material types, via the properties dialog.

Example:

Layer 1 can consist of material type 1, material type 2 or material type 3.

Similar, the remaining 3 Layers have 3 different options.

I'm thinking now that I should use attributes and lookup tables for each layer, so 4 attributes (one per Layer) and 4 Lookup tables (one per Layer).

I can do it using visibility states, but that means presenting to the user a dropdown that has every permutation possible - quite a few, this looks bad to the eye, and the user would have to pay attention since the differences are only a small numeric values.

I would much sooner have one dropdown per Layer - visible in the properties dialog.

Does that make sense....?

Any ideas?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Libbya
in reply to: robw

This shows the a couple methods.  

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 11
robw
in reply to: Libbya

Excellent  - thank you.

- I didn't know you could add a point parameter and not add values to the left side.

Message 4 of 11
Libbya

I'm not sure what you mean.  I did not add any point parameters to the block.  The block contained a rectangle, three attributes, three lookup parameters with lookup actions, a block properties table, and a linear parameter with two stretch actions.  

Message 5 of 11
robw

Incidentally, do you know if you can delete/remove a custom property that I no longer desire?

I seem to have a 'user1' property that I can't get rid of. I've a feeling that I added it ages ago in a block properties table, then deleted the table, but user1 remains....

Message 6 of 11
Libbya

You can delete user parameters in the parameters manager.

Message 7 of 11
robw

Sorry, yes - the lookup table.

I thought you had to click the add properties at the top, and fill in the left side.

Message 8 of 11
robw

My Parameters Manager won't display. 

When I click the button the only thing that happens is my ribbon seems to move 1 pixel to the right - but no palette. I tried the Alt+Space bar thing, but nothing happens.

Message 9 of 11
Libbya

That can occur if you have changed displays and it is off the screen.  If memory serves, I've fixed it before by going into the CUI and changing it to being docked on one side and them moving it from there.

Message 10 of 11
robw

Hmm, it's a new machine at a new job. I played with CUI as well.

I'll dig deeper when I've a spare moment.

Thanks for all your help making me look like a rock star 😉

Message 11 of 11
jeremye86

thank you for the great video! how did you get your attributes to update automatically after changing the value in the lookup table?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

”Boost