Did you mean: 

Offset in a dynamic block

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
allebana13
2867 Views, 11 Replies

Offset in a dynamic block

Hello everyone. First of all, sorry if this post have mistakes in my writing, i'm argentine.

I have to solve this dynamic block, a structure with this variables: interior height, superior height, total width and width of the sections (one width for the green and a different one for the red). I was able to solve the problem of interior height and total width, but when i have to strech the sections width everything gets messy.

is there a method to "offset" the lines? 

Also, i dont know how to strech all without using constraints (i need the lines to stay parallel and matching the ends), as far as i know, using constraints it's not the best.

If you have some ideas, please tell me. And beforehand, thank you all.

Labels (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
allebana13
in reply to: allebana13

airivero213_0-1605722308975.png

i post again this model cause i think you can't see it in the post. 

I also add that i already tried strech and setting a angle offset, but since the superior height is variable, it's not possible to set a unique angle, cause the slope can change. I hope to be clear, if not please dm me.

Message 3 of 12
Libbya

I think that this is one of the few times when constraints will achieve the desired end result more easily than dynamic parameters/actions.  Post the block for further assistance.  

Message 4 of 12
allebana13
in reply to: Libbya

Hi Libbya! thank u for answer. Here is my block, i'm stuck with the variation of the columns (C1 and C2). I tried everything, even using multilines, angle offset (it worked until i add the variable h2 which changes the slope, therefore the angle changes). nothing else come to my mind. Maybe it can't be done or is too complicated? if only there was the option to use an offset!!

i hope i was clear enough. thank u again.

Message 5 of 12
Libbya

The following screencast shows how to do what you are asking for.  

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/a5db4a98-0699-44b9-92ea-834578158d66

Message 6 of 12
allebana13

Oh Libbya that's an amazing job, and also you teach me some new things, thank you sooo much. It's almost 100 %what I want. The only thing that left to solve is that the points where the red part and the green one meets must be in the same vertical plane when I change the c1 and c2 variable. Maybe with a vertical constraint I can solve that? I will get to work right away on this.

Thank you so much for your time. 

Message 7 of 12
Libbya

I don't understand.  If C1 and C2 are different widths, then it is impossible for the points where red and green meet to be on the same vertical line unless there is a jog in either the red or the green.  Please draw and post an example of how it should look with C1 and C2 different widths.  

Message 8 of 12
allebana13

I mean, the points must not be coincident but must be streched in the same vertical plane (symetry plane of the structure). I hope that with the image i can explain it better. the image shows how it can be if i set a distance c1 different to c2. I need it to be symmetrical at midpoint of the distance B.

Message 9 of 12
Libbya

Sure, that can be done.  See screencast.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

This is the block your looking for.  Open block editor and check out the constraints.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I built the DIMS into the block so that they will update accordingly.  I've set the H1 as the Eave height.  If you C1 and C2 are different there is no way your internal heights could be the same without having the ridge at two different heights.

Message 12 of 12
allebana13

Thank you Brian for your suggestions, i could solve it.

And THANK YOU Libbya!! I finally got the result i wanted. From your last screencast i only had to add a line at the axis of symmetry (converted to construction geometry) and put a Fix constraint so that this axis doesnt move. Somehow when i put the parameters from the quick properties, the variable B doesn't strech symmetrically to both sides, but with the line that i added it works perfectly.

Your help was priceless. Thank you for your time and patience with my bad english!! xd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Forma Design Contest

Autodesk Design & Make Report